1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Should Primary School teachers be planning their PPA sessions?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by decj, Nov 14, 2009.

  1. decj

    decj New commenter

    I was just reading the post from sarah9 and was surprised to see that a few TESers have said that primary school teachers should not plan for their PPA periods. My colleagues and I have always planned lessons to be delivered by HLTAs during our PPA periods, so aren't we supposed to be doing that then? I can't find any references to this online.
    Thanks for your time.
    P.S. If teachers don't plan them, then who is supposed to?
  2. decj

    decj New commenter

    I was just reading the post from sarah9 and was surprised to see that a few TESers have said that primary school teachers should not plan for their PPA periods. My colleagues and I have always planned lessons to be delivered by HLTAs during our PPA periods, so aren't we supposed to be doing that then? I can't find any references to this online.
    Thanks for your time.
    P.S. If teachers don't plan them, then who is supposed to?
  3. No you're not supposed to, but many of us do. In my last school the PPA was covered by peripatetic teachers, and planning, prep and assessment left to them; now, my PPA is covered by a member of SMT for whom I have to plan the lesson. It does defeat the point of PPA if you have to plan for it. The argument with core subject howevers, is that the teacher does a weekly plan and the PPA cover just follows it.

  4. The person delivering them. More complicated in England where the person taking the PPA time may not be a teacher. Clear cut in Scotland where the class teacher is guaranteed to be replaced by another teacher.
  5. I have looked for clarification on this many times and cannot find anywhere, in writing, that teachers do NOT have to plan for their own PPA time. I have been told that I have to plan for my PPA time because it is covered by a level 3 TA. Yet some others who have management time plus PPA don't plan for either of those because it is covered by level 4 - who is effectively planning for and teaching the class for 2 days per week.
  6. giraffe

    giraffe New commenter

    Teachers should NOT plan for their PPA
    Unqualified staff should NOT be planning; it is a teacher's job

    Hence PPA should be covered by qualified teachers
  7. oldsomeman

    oldsomeman Star commenter

    they used to use supply teachers for this sort of work...now we are done out of a job because they use HTA and the ilk!
    Some do plan and some dont.....either way as a teacher i would cover such time and use my skill to plan abd deliver and assess as required........
  8. On what are you basing this assertion? I've read plenty of documentation and cannot find anywhere that it specifically states that teachers do not plan for their own PPA time. Can you give me a link to where this is stated?
  9. harsh-but-fair

    harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

    i'd be interested to know too ...
  10. I think it might well be a very common misconception, but I'm prepared to stand corrected if anyone can provide the evidence.
  11. HI
    I am a full time teacher at a school where, at the moment I cover booster classes and PPA cover. If I am lucky, the teachers provide medium term planning and I do the weekly planning, evalution, assessment etc. As a teacher, I am not happy covering lessons that I have not planned, but you do need the medium term planning so that you can make sure there is consistency across year groups (its a 3 form entry primary). However, worst case is that I am 'thrown in at the deep end' with an unfamiliar year group and absolutely NO planning at all. In which case ....................................!!!
  12. I'm not sure what the expectatins for PPa cover is, but as I am lucky enough to have a regular supply teacher who knows the school and routines well I plan for the week so the lessons have some continuity - how she delivers them, or in what order is up to her, so long as we keep the daily routines - as I teach Reception there is a lot of flexibility. My friends in Y1 and Y2 give their supplies (again regular supply cover teachers) a copy of the term's overview and they will plan for D&T, History, Geography, RE etc whichever is timetabled for the time they are in class. This means that they are also responsible for marking of the work they have set
    WE are as school very fortunate it seems to have not only qualified teachers as our PPa cover but also they same teacher for a mnimum of half a trm.

  13. Sorry for poor spelling, I have a sticky keyboard!![​IMG]
  14. I may be treading on a few toes here but I'm not apologising for that. In Primary Schools surely your planning is all done on the basis of what has gone before and what the children need next in order to make further progress. Without this knowledge nobody could plan effective lessons which will actually benefit learning. In my view the only person 'qualified' enough to plan for a class of learners is their own teacher who knows them and knows where they're up to.
    Also, surely you'd want the lessons covered to fit into your other planning to provide continuity so how on earth would somebody covering you once a week manage to do this without needing a meeting with you to update them on where you've got up to and how the children have been progressing with your teaching so far?
    This question is a no-brainer. If you want your children to benefit from good learning opportunities when you're not doing the teaching, then at very least you need to be involved in the planning. If you have to be involved in the planning and you've already planned the rest of your week - is an additional 10% really too much to ask?
  15. NUT documentation clearly states this information.
  16. PS I agree with above - each days progresses from another - one way is to have PE taught in PPA but even though I don't provide detailed planning sheets for my PPA cover I do spend time discussing what we have been doing and where to go next - that's just natural? isn't it?
  17. FAQs Regarding Planning Preparation & Assessment (PPA) Time: 1. Who does the planning for the class when the assigned teacher is on PPA?

    There should be liaison between the assigned teacher and whoever is taking the lesson particularly if the lesson is a continuation of something already started. There should be no need for the teacher who is on their PPA time to do the detailed planning and preparation for the lessons taken during that time.
    ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  18. fantastischfish

    fantastischfish Established commenter

    If the cover teacher is contracted to work on the same day each week, and teach the same subject each week, then surely it is actually better for that cover teacher to plan the lessons? If PPA time is properly organised, schools could hire a proper PPA relief teacher who can cover all the staff on different days, planning the work and marking it as they go. Quite frankly, it *** me off that some teaches come along with their holier-than-thou "for the best of the kids" attitude and give up their legal entitlements, expecting others to be prepared to do the same. My argument would be that I can do the extra 10% of planning if you like, but I will be doing the other 90% of my job 10% worse.
    YES! That's why PPA exists in the first place. Congratulations on being the most commited teacher on the planet. The rest of us recognise our limitations and that our entitlement to 10% PPA is there to help us be more effective teachers the other 90% of the time. If you choose to sacrifice this entitlement, that's up to you. It's not fair to assume that others are prepared to do this, nor that they have less interest in their pupils' progress.
    ypetruso likes this.
  19. No complications in N. Ireland. No PPA time!!!
  20. 1. There seems to be confusion about what PPA time is for. Those posting replies seem to suggest that they have to use 'their' PPA time to plan for the lesson when they are not present. That is obviously not the intention for PPA. But PPA is not the only time a teacher should be spending on planning. The teacher should leave sufficient information, plans, assessment information for a replacement teacher to be able to teach the class with continuity across the whole week, whether the allocated teacher is taking the class or the replacement freeing up the class teacher for PPA.

    2. Job descriptions. Hello, dont you guys have job descriptions which are negotiated and agreed and which spell these kind of things out?

    3. Professionalism. Do teachers really just want to walk away from the class and leave nothing for the person taking the class to work with?

    But I guess the real teachers are doing their job rather than grumbling to the TES forums.

Share This Page