1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should parents sponsor a TA?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by tom clancy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. There is also the risk that if certain parents contribute significant funds they may regard themselve as having some sort of ownership of the TA.

2. Thanks - all these responses are really helpful - lots I'd not thought of. Appreciate you taking the time to share your views very much.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think all you have to do is replace the words 'TA' with 'teacher' and you have your answer.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Which is what? I can see the issues around sponsoring a staff member as have been set out in earlier posts, but as you raise it what would be the insurmountable obstacle to sponsoring a teacher?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's nothing less than asking parents to pay for their child's education. Independent schools do exactly this - your fees cover (amongst other things) the cost of the teaching staff.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

It's quite a lot less then that - it's voluntary not compulsory for a start, which is not the case with independent school fees.
    Unless you believe that no school should ever ask parents to make a voluntary contribution for anything - either school pays for it in full from its delegated budget or it doesn't happen - then it's all a question of where individuals want to draw their personal 'line in the sand'. Fair enough, you'd draw yours at sponsoring a teacher (or any staff member?) ;in your view that would be a step too far. I'd draw mine somewhere else - probably at asking parents to make voluntary contributions for something that the school is statutorily bound to provide. Once you've got one qualified teacher per class, enough to cover your timetable, why isn't another teacher or TA just as much a 'voluntary extra' as a school journey to the local museum or mosque? Or asking for contributions to new playground equipment? Why is it widespread practice that schools ask voluntary contributions to School Fund of £x per term that the school can use to fund staffing if it chooses but not OK if school does it by asking the same sum per term to fund a specified post? They're just differences of degree, not differences of principle.