1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should parents have the power to sack headteachers?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 16, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

A charity wants to see a new and controversial law introduced here that would allow parents a much greater say in the way their local school is run.

The New Schools Network (NSN) believes that the “parent trigger” law, which already exists in a number of states in America, should be rolled out in the UK to give parents legal powers to make significant changes to a school in order to transform its record.

As well as forcing a change in the headteacher, parents would also have the power to: close a school, dismiss up to half the teaching staff, change the leadership team or change it into a charter school.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/give-parents-power-sack-headteachers-charity-urges

Do you think this type of law is needed here and will it work?

But the radical law has its critics including the National Association of Head Teachers which believes the plan would be “counterproductive”.

Should parents have the power to sack headteachers? If this law is introduced would it deter people from applying for senior leadership team roles including head teacher positions?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Most headteachers would like the power to sack a few parents, as many/most problems pupils have are caused by their home circumstances!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What FolkFan said.

I know of more than one head who has been driven out of the job by a cohort of aggressive parents, so they already CAN do it if they put their minds to it.

4. drek

drek Star commenter

Not sure. I have seen highly qualified teachers sacked or driven out by indiscriminate headteachers, on completely trumped up judgements by observation, possibly in response to 'complaints' from parents about their child being placed on detention.
    This may put further stress on such a punitive system?
    Or perhaps the headteachers union may do a better job of protecting its own?

5. Middlemarch

That would be "No".

drek likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

No.
    I'm not actually sure how it would work within employment law either.

7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

It's a dreadful idea.

8. kmansa

kmansa New commenter

Definitely. Had the experience of dealing with a head teacher who was a bully, intimidating and a liar. She ruined many children's experience in school. Caused tremendous amount of upset. She still sits on her chair carrying on with her foul behaviour, whilst the children who gad dealings with her still suffer. Is that fair? No it is not. Give parents at least a chance of having a "proper say ".

9. drek

drek Star commenter

But I have had many more experiences of parents being bullies, complaining about staff members 'performance' if they dared put their child in detention for abusive behaviour (possibly imitating adults at home?).
    To make them judge and jury whether they have ever held a job or not, been neighbours from hell or not..... Well, think about it?
    One parent who told me she was disappointed with the service at a local leisure centre, after she was banned for leaving her 4 year old alone in the swimming pool with an older sibling, whilst she went shopping. She said the pool guard should have taken her child to the toilet instead of letting him soil the pool!
    She put in a 'complaint' demanding he be sacked! She told me this at a meeting about her older child continuously swearing at others and smoking on the school grounds.
    Shortly after she was invited for a chat SLT and I was found to be in need of support. I managed to get through that round but was thoroughly confused about the reason.
    There had been no observations before the school claimed I needed support.
    parent power yay!

10. Middlemarch

Drek's points are exactly the point; moreover, if parents can sack the head, why not other staff? After all, there are usually more complaints by parents about their child's teacher than there ever are about the head...

11. electricsheep

electricsheep New commenter

No. Parents tend to get too emotionally driven and lack objectivity. It can become personal. Some parents can form clicks and little gangs and wind each other up over the slightest thing. Of course, if a Head is incompetent, that is different. But inspectors will pick up on that so no need to have parents giving thumbs up or down.