1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Overtime be paid to lunchtime supervisor working in a primary school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by preciousjuls69, Nov 13, 2018.

1. preciousjuls69

preciousjuls69 New commenter

Hello I work in a school, in a primary school I work as a lunchtime supervisor, & I'm asked to do overtime which is out of my working hours to do meetings which take an hour or more. I also asked to do overtime by covering other years in the school working longer than my current hours, should I be, entitled to be paid overtime at the current rate that I'm on? I have worked with a primary school for the last 8years .

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Meetings are sometimes a dodgy question, but you should definitely be paid overtime if you are working for longer than your paid hours. Talk to your line manager - probably the Head Teacher.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

+1

5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Yeah, nobody should have to work unpaid.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

If they feel the meeting is important enough for you to attend out of hours they should already have offered you payment.
    And for anyone on minimum wage expecting any work out of those hours unpaid immediately puts you below minimum wage. For instance if you had to travel between two sites even for just ten minutes a day.