1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Ofsted inspections include teacher workload?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Do you trust the inspectorate to assess schools’ approaches to workload and could it lead to positive changes in the amount of work teachers currently deal with?

‘Ofsted is considering including teacher workload in its new inspection framework, a senior official has said.

The inspectorate is currently working on a new school inspection framework that is due to come into effect in September 2019.

Last month, Tes revealed that it is set to scrap its current teaching and learning grade.

Today, Heather Fearn, who is inspector curriculum and development lead at the organisation, told the ResearchED conference in London that it is discussing including workload in the new framework.’

Would you welcome workload being included in the inspection framework? If yes/no, why?

https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-says-inspections-could-include-teacher-workload

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I can't see it happening but I look forward to the latest Capability criterion.

Not working smart enough

Oh and another load of CPD with an overpaid 'consultant' telling us to err...... work smarter.

3. JohnJCazorla

And on a practical basis.

How will OFSTED get the evidence of this - given that evidence gathering is the main cause of excess workload?

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

She used to work for Inspiration Trust.

I wouldn't trust or believe a word she says.

tterb, Jamvic, install and 2 others like this.
  5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

It would be interesting to see what they make of my SLT who argued that they are working hard on workload issues and as an example of reducing workload gave this example.

"We did discuss lengthening the school day to include a compulsory 6th period but decided not to in order to reduce workload....."

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

6. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

All heart, clearly.

7. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted have had their day. Their gradings are doubted by too many; their habit of changing with the wind obvious, and the bonus payments of 10,000 pounds for some still not understood.

Does what Ofsted do and say actually have much support ever attached to it? Teachers and their stress levels have not mattered to Ofsted for years?

tterb, Jamvic and slingshotsally like this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I hope that a decent English teacher chairs that.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

A few years ago, we had an Ofsted 'trainer'. He was supposedly there to help us 'assess better'. He began by asking us all to write down one thing that affected our ability to assess. Pretty much everyone put 'lack of time'. He then said it was a shame as we were never going to get more time and we'd always be expected to work more.
    I wasn't the only one who thought it was time to leave the profession formerly known as teaching...

10. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Perhaps a more pertinent question would be: do you trust your school leadership to accurately report teacher workload and reduction initiatives to inspectors?

install likes this.
  11. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

One of the issues of measuring workload is individual perception of what excessive workload is. How do you measure it? I worked with someone before who constantly moaned about the workload and left to another school and realised actually it wasn't that bad where she was before.

12. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

OFSTED inspections include a teacher survey but it is not compulsory. If nothing turns up in the teacher survey then all is well. The survey should be compulsory for all staff and should specifically include questions about work-life balance.

install likes this.
  13. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Why did they say "lack of time", rather than "too many things to do"? That's a curious way to look at it, and makes it sound like they accept that all of the new, unnecessary tasks actually need doing.
    If you look at it the other way round, then steps have been taken before, e.g. the twenty-one admin tasks (collecting money, chasing absence notes, invigilation, etc.) that teachers on standard terms and conditions were explicitly barred from doing. When I was offered at job in the early days of academies, of course, most of those things were back in the contract.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  14. ridleyrumpus

That does not mean that the workload in either school was not excessive.

15. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Again it's all a matter of interpretation. For me the workload was never excessive but then I had the attitude of "if it's not going to make me a better teacher or children better learners I'm not going to do it." I also didn't mark books on nights I had clubs to run/meetings and would tell my HT and DHT that if they ever questioned it, which to be fair they never did.

I am certain workload is a nightmare in a number of schools and I know it is from talking to colleagues. On the flip side I've also worked with people who've taken hours and hours to get jobs done which either didn't need doing or could have been done in an hour. I've also noticed an alarming trend on twitter of people posting pictures of their immaculate classrooms with intricate displays and triple backed work with immense pride. I'd have never spent that long doing that and would never ask staff at school to do so either.

In essence I think it's very hard to precisely measure what is a heavy workload and what isn't.

16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I can forsee a situation where we will all have additional workload caused by the school attempting to have us all manufacture and provide evidence that we don't have excessive work loads......

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  17. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Plus the dangers of an infinite loop:

I spent 30 minutes writing about my workload.
    I spent 2 minutes calculating my workload and writing it down.
    I spent 1 minute writing about the calculation of my workload.
    I spent 1 minute writing about writing about the calculation of my workload.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  18. ridleyrumpus

The problem with workload in schools is that it is impossible to actually complete and almost impossible to not take work home.

This leads to the nagging feeling whenever you are at home that you should be trying to get on top of everything, which is impossible. It is the perfect recipe for stress and anxiety. Directed time should be set to "X" pm and you take nothing home it is unhealthy to take work home everyday.

19. JohnJCazorla

Sorry, I'm a Sums Teacher.

Should I have said Not working well smart?
    Or is the correction to work well smarter?

20. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Yes. I rather think you are right.