1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should level 2 TA cover a whole class (primary)?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Spice0012, Mar 17, 2015.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Thanks Keep the spirit. There is one governor, whom I do not see often but could be enlisted to help. Your reason number 1 fits the bill for the situation.

You are right I do need to tackle it. A HT colleague has said the same thing this morning. I am looking at governor training for this term. I suggested it to the chair and she has agreed. The SIP and my mentor have both helped. It was particularly bad before Easter but things are a bit better.

My SIP said to me that I have had a 'Baptism of fire', so a big hint there really but I am determined to succeed, especially after my experiences at my previous school.

Enough said!

Thank you; I appreciate your advice and I will act upon it.

2. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Great stuff - hope all goes well. It is hard, but worth it.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

In answer to the original question- level 2 TAs are not HLTAs. To be a HLTA you have to be working at level 4. HLTAs have to meet the teacher standards and some have degrees and plenty of years of experience in schools. I do not think any of them want to take the teachers place as if they did, it would be easy for them to finish their training and become a teacher. They are members of staff that have decided they would like a bit more responsibilty. If you check the HLTA you will see that they are supposed to plan with the teacher and deliver the lesson with a teacher/ teaching assistant present. Why would they go through all of their training to supervise children doing activities. That is what a cover supervisors job description is.

Sorry for the rant but I dont understand why there is so much confusion about the HLTA role. Some teachers, goveners and supply have taken a dislike to them, judging them to be unworthy to cover classes. If you dont like them, dont employ them.