1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Labour now come out for a rejection of Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Nov 10, 2017.

1. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

Dangerous or the right thing to do? The guy who wrote Articke 50 Lord Kerr says we can change our mind over Brexit.
    Should Labour now adopt this position to widen its base?
    Would alienate working class uneducated in labour heartlands but might widen its appeal in more urban areas? Or just do it as a matter of principle?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Would be best not to let them vote in the next General Election either.

lexus300 likes this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I can hear the conversations - " if you don't get at least 5 Cs, then you won't be allowed to vote.

4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Only graduates should be allowed to vote. They know what is best for other people.

racroesus likes this.
  5. red_observer

Not saying that but it does make me wonder how some working class people become racist/Tory/UKIP supporters

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That is merely one view. The European Commission believe that it cannot be cancelled. Only the ECJ can decide if Brexit can be cancelled, and thus far nobody has asked them to rule on the matter.

7. red_observer

Fair enough. Will be interesting as it may develop

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Maybe they didn't feel they deserved to be looked down upon and called racist simply because they had justifiable concerns about how the country they and their ancestors had defended and worked to build was being transformed without their views being sought or their interests considered?

wanet and Mr_Ed like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

A bit tricky, given that 70% of labour constituencies voted leave.

colpee and nomad like this.
  10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

What about Labour voters who voted to leave the E U? What about the middle and upper class uneducated in Labour heartlands? Would they be alienated?

576 likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Or Labour, then UKIP, then Labour again?

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Your the ageist and racist Red if you think anyone who didn't vote your way is uneducated and racist, as your taking a racist view,beside a naive one in that you also believe the propaganda promulgated on here by others
    Prove every Breixit voter is racist and uneducated.I challenge you.. i voted against staying because I did not like being ruled by the unelected in the EU....... and I did it based upon my view and my understanding, not of some of the tripe that's been peddled.. I do not dislike a nation and indeed love to visit Europe. You could loosely call me a nationalist I would suppose..but its not a new thing.I have been a nationalist for my country since I was a young man.

wanet, lexus300 and artboyusa like this.
  13. Jude Fawley

Again, as a working class man carrying out labouring work and living in rented accommodation I voted UKIP in the referendum and Conservative in the last election. Prior to that I have been a life-long Labour voter. I felt I couldn't vote Labour in the referendum because I didn't agreed with their stance on Europe and I voted Conservative in the last election for the same reason.

When Labour is a proper working class alternative i.e. isn't run by and infiltrated by a middle class organisation called 'Momentum' I will go back to voting Labour like a shot.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You could vote Green.

15. red_observer

Not really. I agre New Labour neglected the working class but Corbyn is proper Labour

16. red_observer

Hence my kite flying!

17. red_observer

I’m flying a kite here so your points are fair ones.

18. red_observer

Yawn.

19. red_observer

You are so eloquent...

20. Jude Fawley

The Green party are, in my opinion middle class dreamers living in a fantasy. Basically they're insipid.

artboyusa and racroesus like this.