1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Kim Darroch be replaced as UK Ambassador in Washington?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jul 8, 2019.

?

Should Kim Darroch be replaced as UK Ambassador in Washington?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    87.0%
  1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Darroch leaves at the end of the year, I heard...

3. aypi

aypi Established commenter

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think that it's inevitable that he will have to be redeployed elsewhere. He has done nothing wrong as his job is to brief the UK government, but he can no longer do that job properly now that his confidential briefings have been disclosed.
    Farage, of course, will claim that his intervention brought about the redeployment, when all he was really doing was sucking up to Trump.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm not voting at the top of the thread as clicking Yes could be misinterpreted as me disapproving of the ambassador and thinking that his head should roll.
    I think he should go because his position has now been unfairly compromised.

afterdark, MAGAorMIGA, blazer and 2 others like this.
  6. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Yes- but if his posting is nearing its end then no.

However what he wrote I would think to be totally in line with normal practice, and if so there's no reason to punish him by giving him a lesser job or gardening leave.
    I am waiting to see who leaked the emails- I wonder if there's a foreign state involved?

blue451 likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

He did nothing wrong but the malicious leak makes his position untenable.

knitone, artboyusa and Laphroig like this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't think he should go unless it is found that he is responsible for the leak. If they do find anyone responsible, it will probably be an underling.

However, there is growing concern that some in the civil service are now taking political positions that undermine their neutrality and smack of trying to undermine democracy. The case of the rumours against Jeremy Corbyn are a case in point. Should a general election lead to a Labour government (unlikely, I know) it would be unthinkable to have civil servants conniving to bring it down.

Aquamarina1234 and lanokia like this.
  9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Probably a politican with access to the emails has leaked it. Trump wants Farage as Ambassador so it seems likely.

burajda likes this.
  10. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

It isn't exactly news that Trump is as thick as p.i.g.s.h.i.t. and couldn't organise a p.i.s.s- up in a brewery.

So why should Darroch go for simply telling us what we already knew?

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

He's been there 3 1/2 years now and typically ambassadors to the US only serve for 4 - 5 years so his posting would probably end in any case around the end of this year. He was 65 a couple of months ago so as a career civil servant I'd imagine he is planning to retire.

afterdark likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That would make the most likely candidate Jeremy Hunt, but if that's who it was he must surely have realised that being found out would not only end his leadership bid but also wreck his career. Alan Duncan is the only other realistic possibility (as his remit includes America). I think a civil servant who dislikes Trump is more likely.

American presidents tend to appoint ambassadors from among political supporters and donors. Trump doesn't realise that in the UK ambassadors are generally appointed from career civil servants with Foreign Office experience - Farage is not one of those.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    sabrinakat and emerald52 like this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

In any case, it's none of Trump's business.

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

If Trump doesn't want to be criticised for running a dysfunctional government, he should stop running a dysfunctional government.

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Agreed, but personally I think that seeing that something is none of one's business requires intelligence.

smoothnewt, sabrinakat and nizebaby like this.
  16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

If someone in such a position is silly enough to write these things in emails that obviously cannot be considered safe, then he has to go.

As simple as that, methinks.

17. Rott Weiler

How do you suggest ambassadors should communicate with the government then if not via the government secure communications network?

lizziescat and monicabilongame like this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As said, through a safe network. This was not safe hence the silliness in the words he was using on that line of communication.

The hacking of emails is hardly the type of science only James Bond is aware of.

This was an amateur being silly in a position that needs professionalism.

Sorry, he has to go.

artboyusa likes this.
  19. Rott Weiler

What on earth are you talking about? None of the media reports suggest that anyone hacked into his emails - the Mail, who originally published the story, never mentions emails - it talks about memos, letters, 'diplomatic cables' (whatever they are). And even if it was sent by email hacking into the government's high security communication system does require James Bond-levels of expertise (to use your analogy, it seems rather old-fashioned, Bond isn't best known for his computer hacking skills). I don't suppose the ambassador sent sensitive emails from his personal gmail account!

The media reports all imply that the ambassador's memos/letters/whatever you want to call them were leaked from a government department in London. Why's that a reason to sack the ambassador? Because his bosses couldn't keep their filing secure?

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

If that is all he wrote, then yes he should be sacked - for banality!

Why would anyone pay and house a top diplomat to advise so much that is completely obvious to anyone curious enough to have glanced at a newspaper in the last year?

My first thoughts on reading about this great scandal was how little there was to remark on!