1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should kids be watching 12,15 and 18 movies?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by teachingking123, Oct 29, 2015.

?

Should kids be watching 12,15 and 18 movies?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  3. Yes and no because they can do what they like

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

The question is the thread title. I mean, my students (I teach in year 5) come in the next day copying the rude language and horrible senses. Then young children copy it and it is out of control. However, we do stop this.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

No children should not be watching movies that are rated 12, 15, 18. They are too young to understand the scenes and the language used.

I am not sure if you can stop it, since it is the parents/carers who should be monitoring what their children watch and they simply underestimate the effect these movies have on their children or they don't care even if they do understand the effects.

With the easily accessibility of mobile devices such as laptops, mobiles, and tablets the problem is worse than when there was only TV or DVDs to worry about.

teachingking123 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Kind of thought the age ratings answered the question for you...

Should a year 5 watch a rated 18 movie? How is that perplexing?

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If they are 12, 15 and 18, yes.

Deal with the behaviour rather than stressing about where they have learned it.

5. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

pepper5, I strongly agree with you.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Certainly a minefield in schools - I had to use a lot of discretion and care about what I showed and to whom when teaching GCSE Media Studies. I was aghast at what some staff were bringing in for end-of-term movie treats for their classes.

Parents will always do as they please - some are clearly desperate for their children to 'grow up' (I use the term advisedly) well before their time. Personally I was always happy to be my chronological age.