1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Justin Trudeau resign?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 19, 2019.

?

Should be resign?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    93.7%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Governments should provide an amnesty up until a law is passed making this type of thing unlawful. Currently, small numbers of people are whipping up support for vigilantism without considering what the implications may be for historical infractions of their personal moirais.

towncryer and nomad like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

An amnesty would be good. Everyone should post their photographs of black-face, cultural appropriation, gender appropriation, age appropriation etc, together with a lengthy apology, to demonstrate their contrition.
    e.g. I'll start
    upload_2019-9-20_13-11-30.jpeg

Sorry.

3. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Here’s Trudeau getting some love from Jordan Peterson

artboyusa likes this.
  4. alex_teccy

Apparently he’s cloned himself so he can reform the Village People
    SharpCreepyGnat-small.gif

lanokia, nomad and neddyfonk like this.
  5. alex_teccy

-OK last one: JT.JPG

6. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I used to play in the colours of Toronto Maple Leafs in our local little league, but I wanted the Montreal Canadians (Les Habitants) I still have my very small Canadians jersey and bought a Leaf's jersey when we went over a few years ago. The delightful thing is that the jerseys have hardly changed at all. The only difference appears to be that home colours and away colours have changed places.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

alex_teccy and lanokia like this.
  9. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I read about this.It's a completely different thing,a tradition which goes back centuries and I would bet has nothing to do with black people.
    Similar thing in Holland with the protest about black peter who in Christmas follows St Nicholas and gives out coal...yes coal.Perhaps that's why he's black?

Racism isn't nice..we all agree but people really need some education in what is and isnt racism, My students are always quick to jump on the band wagon and declare a word or phrase in their books as racist...with no reference to the context or history behind it. Students are one thing...mainstream media is another.They should know better, but calm educated discussion over mob hysteria doesn't sell papers I guess.

alex_teccy and lanokia like this.
  10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Fair enough, but whatever you do, don't mention Native Americans. The Injuns hate that PC stuff..

Some years back, lunching in a London pub and earwigging the conversation between two young women at the next table, I couldn't resist:

'So what part of Wigan are you from?'
    'Ashton'...but how did you...?
    'Because I'm from Ince.'

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

[QUOTE nomad 'I yellow-faced in order to play Ko-Ko in an amateur theatre group's production of 'The Mikado'.[QUOTEI

Me too (Orrell G&S Society back in nineteen-hundred-and-frozen-to-death). My chopper was said to be a miracle of loveliness (or was that Katisha's elbow?)

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

What is and isn't appropriate can change quickly . . .

13. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Funnily enough, Brendan O'neill has come out in support of Trudeau. Who'd a thunk it? All it took was a blacked up face.

Brendan ONeill of Spiked, for those who don't know, with recent headlines such as "Trudeau, a ruthless machine politician", "Trudeau, not Trump, is the real demagogue" and "Trudeau: Cultural appropriator"

JL48 likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not that funny... just Brendan being consistent... good to see.

You appear to not get 'nuance'.

alex_teccy likes this.
  15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

What is it about ex-communists when they shift to the right ? It's like ex-smokers.

alex_teccy likes this.
  16. alex_teccy

A priniciple is a principle. He's a believer in freedom.

artboyusa and lanokia like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think the concept of 'principles' confuses people these days. I have the principle of 'freedom of speech' ... when I applied that to the Mark Meecham case this confused a few posters who figured this made me an antisemite...

I suspect this is because 'principles' ... something bigger than individual people... confuses them.

alex_teccy likes this.
  18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I think that it has a lot to do with the fact that the kind of absolutism shown by - for example - your principle on free speech, has generally been the preserve of Americans. Brits had traditionally been more moderate - however the continued march of American values will do for Britishness what the grey squirrel did for the red.

19. alex_teccy

It's interesting, the further we get away from WW2 the more hysterical some people get... I wonder what they would make of the Goons, or Monty Pythons "it's lampshade time"!. Indian Jones featured Nazi insignia left right and center... I thnk we have created generations of people obsessed with racism orthodoxy.
    download (1).jpg

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yes, but they either mocked or portrayed them as the enemy. I don't remember the Producers, John Cleese or any of the rest ever commenting that there fine people on both sides . . .