1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Justin Trudeau resign?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 19, 2019.

?

Should be resign?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    93.7%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

TCSC47, alex_teccy, nick909 and 3 others like this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I don't like him (and 60% of Canadians agree with me) and wish him gone but Trudeau should not resign over this. As he said himself "When you kill your enemies, they win". The world needs such wisdom.

caress and lanokia like this.
  3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I wish to apologise for an act of blatant racism which has troubled my dreams for decades. My third prize as Aladdin in the fancy dress competition at the Wigan Communist Association's 1952 children's Christmas party is not something I can ever live down. Admittedly I was only six at the time but that is no excuse for political immaturity. While I'm at it I had better apologise for my mother (who made such a convincing job with the makeup that I had to spend the rest of the evening fending off jibes about my gender) and the executive committee who, as communists, had no business organising a Christmas party in the first place.

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I too am from near Wigan and in 1971 I made a bow and arrow. I apologise unreservedly for my actions at the time.

I am deeply sorry.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I light of this I should apologise for my own transgression. I played one of the three wise men from the East in the Ghorsthills Primary School, Ellesmere Port, nativity play in 1983. I am not Persian or Central Asian by ancestry. This is a disgusting incident from my past that I look back on with deep shame.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And then there's gender misappropriation.....
    No more Shakespeare, given historically boys played the female parts. And as for Twelfth Night ........ boys playing girls playing boys.

towncryer likes this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"Face-darkening makeup"? Amazing how the media carry water for their Chosen Ones. The don't even try to hide it anymore.
    [​IMG]

--Badger--, alex_teccy and lanokia like this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Many might question your use of the word 'golly'. Also David Walliams and co painted their faces far more recently-and that was on a comedy programme, which would be watched by millions. Sure, he's not a PM, but he is the nations' favourite TV judge.

nomad, towncryer and lanokia like this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I wish to apologise for my appalling racist behaviour which involved collecting small pieces of paper found under the lids of jars of confiture. I was very young and did not realize the seriousness of my actions.

10. Mainwaring

Golly indeed. It gets worse and worse. Some thirty years back I was invited to sing at a Burns supper. Lacking the appropriate garb I borrowed it from a friend who happened to be of the Clan Robertson. I regret to admit that the jacket sported an enamel lapel badge of a racist nature.

11. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I dressed up in Middle Eastern costume for my role as the mother in the school production of Amal and the night visitors. I probably also used make up to make my face a little darker. I also helped a schoolmate black up his face to play the part of one of the wise men in same production There is an incriminating photo somewhere. Good job that neither us became politicians!

Joking aside though I find this delving into the past and applying today's morality to behavior then,deeply disturbing.If it continues to be tolerated then how far is it going to go? Are many of us going to spend our last years in jail/unemployed/shamed or whatever because something we did in innocence (and perfectly legal) in the past has now been declared to be a crime or culturally insensitive or anything really.

We should leave the past behind and look to the future. Digging up past sins that weren't actually sins at the time helps no one,

12. Mainwaring

I've sung the cricketing song in Amahl and the Night Visitors (I never travel without my box).

florian gassmann, lanokia and nomad like this.
  13. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I watched an episode of the Black and White Minstrel show in the seventies. It is a fair cop gov. Lock me up.

lanokia and nomad like this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I yellow-faced in order to play Ko-Ko in an amateur theatre group's production of 'The Mikado'.

To add further embarrassment to my shame, that included singing a song with the word "tit-willow".

Oh the shame! :oops:

blazer and lanokia like this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Serial offender
    [​IMG]
    upload_2019-9-20_9-53-27.jpeg

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

However it was last year!!!!

Plus your avatar is misleading.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was once Joseph in the school nativity play, no make-up involved, I played him as a white English man (boy) which as everyone knows was correct.

lanokia, towncryer and nomad like this.
  18. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

This is how I saw the "brownface" description. As soon as more events of him "browning up" were revealed the media gave up the ghost and went back to describing it as blackface.

Liberals are just the worst. Do as I say not as I do.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    artboyusa likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That is what is known as ''Digital Blackface''... the BBC had a piece on it...

White folks using images of black folks to communicate something.

I think some folks have too much time on their hands [and BBC digital employs too many former Buzzfeed 'journalists']

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Here's you go.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...es-of-black-people-reacting-so-popular-online

The BBC even went so far as to film a video

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-40931479/is-it-ok-to-use-black-emojis-and-gifs

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/digital-blackface-reaction-gifs