1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Justin Trudeau resign?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 19, 2019.

?

Should be resign?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    93.7%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://time.com/5680759/justin-trudeau-brownface-photo/
    [​IMG]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49749851

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wore "brownface" at a private school gala nearly two decades ago, a photo obtained by Time Magazine shows.

Addressing the image, Mr Trudeau said he "deeply regretted" his actions and "should have known better".

The 2001 yearbook picture shows Mr Trudeau with skin-darkening make-up on his face and hands at the West Point Grey Academy in Vancouver.

The prime minister is battling for re-election on 21 October.

Mr Trudeau, who is the son of late former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, used to teach at the elite academy.

Thing is, even in 2001 I knew 'blackface' was distasteful.... the only time I've seen it in the real world was at a party for Michael Jackson's Thriller back in the 1980s. The lad was 10.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Culturally insensitive? Yes.

Racist? No.

The prime minister of our own country has done far worse.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

So he put make-up on at a party. So what???

BetterNow, towncryer, colpee and 5 others like this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Golly, it's always a difficult call to drag up something from a person's past. Should the Prime Minister of France resign for doing something that some people might find offensive - especially their long distant past? We have all done things in the past which we regret and, perhaps luckily for us, have not been discovered and brought to the attention of the wider public.
    For instance, I know a bloke - lets call him Dave. Dave was out with his chums one evening in Bullingdon and just for a laugh he decided to put his Oldman into a pig's mouth (a dead pig, of course). Later on in life, he become the Prime Minister of Great Britain. When the incident came to light we all decided that it was just high spirits and jolly japes.
    Another bloke from Bullingdon burnt a £50 note in front of a homeless tramp, so he could join a club. Tells terrible fibs too - a complete stranger to the truth and you wouldn't trust him with your wife. He's now the Prime Minister of Great Britain.

If the Prime Minister of France dressed up as a person of colour then this is surely something for the French electorate to consider. How would we feel if the French started complaining about our Prime Ministers burning £50 notes in front of homeless people or sticking their private parts into pig's mouths?
    upload_2019-9-19_7-3-49.jpeg
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2833129/bullingdon-club-oxford-why-burn-50-notes/
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron-outright-denies-putting-20094029

che48, BetterNow and monicabilongame like this.
  5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Excellently put, @schoolsout4summer, but he's the prime minister of Canada ;). He is of French Canadian descent.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Edouard Philippe?
    2001?

LondonCanary likes this.
  7. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

In Bullingdon?? It was was the Piers Gaveston Society not the Bullingdon Club where the alleged incident occurred.

9. schoolsout4summer

I know, but some of our Right Wing readers are remarkably ill-informed, so I was taking a leaf out of our Prime Minister's playbook. We love the Canadians, but hate the French, so I thought that with a bit of creative writing I could twist things around to take the heat off the Mounties and turn up the temperature for the Frogs.
    (No offence intended).

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And French Canadians?:confused:

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Looking at how he's holding the lady on his right his cultural misjudgment didn't seem to have harmed his youthful pulling power.

I once dressed up as E P Gumby for a wheelbarrow race c.1977 - can I expect to be hauled across the coals for offending working class men who wear knotted handkerchiefs on their heads at the seaside?

Anyway, how can they tell it's Trudeau?

caress, TCSC47, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

Quite so, but I was was following the example set by our great Prime Minister, Alexander de Pfeffle aka "Boris" Johnson and embellishing the facts by adding a few porkies.
    I was not taking the piff

13. schoolsout4summer

Don't know. Perhaps one of our trolls from Toryland could clarify that one.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

PGS? That's was according to Boris, but as you know, you can't believe a word he says.

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

That was according to the Daily Mirror (and others) , the newspaper you took your quote from.
    Yeah right. So much wrong in a single post requires an extraordinary excuse.

16. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Racist.

(I may not be being entirely serious here)

lanokia likes this.
  17. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

His real name's not Justin Trudeau, it's Mr Ben: Capture.JPG

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh no... he didn't dress up as a Native American as well did he?

How is this bigot still in post?

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

How long before drag queens are criticised for appropriating womanliness? Why is it ok for a man to dress up as a joke woman but not as a joke person from another country?

xmal, peter12171, BetterNow and 2 others like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Careful
    [​IMG]

alex_teccy likes this.