1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Jarad O'Mara have resigned over comments made 15 years ago.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Oct 23, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

The Labour MP Jared O’Mara has resigned from the women and equalities committee after it was revealed he had posted a series of homophobic and sexist comments on online forums, about 15 years before he was elected. I just cannot work out what society deems as sufficiently insulting these days. I thought Boycott's comment was quite racist re having to be Caribbean to get a knighthood -( I have paraphrased not quoted) and he kept his job.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If my maths is correct (and I'm a maths teacher so who knows) then he was a teenager when he posted those comments.

I don't know if this is a morality tale pointing out you shouldn't post any opinions on-line ...ever.

I often wonder about the entire principle of quoting any politician's opinions from a number of years ago. One of the things that Maggie should be blamed for was the cult of Conviction Politics which means no politician can change their mind on any view. In which case there's no point in even discussing the merits/faults of Brexit because it is politically fatal to change your opinions. Similarly Jared can't recant these views regardless of his maturity or sobriety at the time.

delmamerchant and TCSC47 like this.
  3. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

He should have the whip withdrawn and be hoofed out of the Labour Party. He makes Boycott sound like a vicar.

delmamerchant and nomad like this.
  5. elledriver

Posting that a named musician should be sodomized to death is not what I would call an opinion.

nomad likes this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Apologies, I stand in the awkward position of defending the indefensible. I should have checked the details before posting.

7. elledriver

No need. Many he things he posted will not be reproduced in the MSM and most would get a ban within minutes if posted here.
    What sort of vetting occured in the Sheffield Hallam CLP if he's the best they could come up with

nomad likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It would appear that he still holds some of those views from what was in the news last night.

Get rid of him.

Didactylos4 and nomad like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He should have claimed to have been on drugs at the time.

10. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

11. asnac

asnac Established commenter

He claims he was going through a bad time then... Maybe that means he was being a teenager.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If it was 15 years ago he would have been 20 or 21 (he was born in 1981): his comments at the time sound incredibly immature as well as offensive.

delmamerchant likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Boycott isn't an MP, making laws, of course!

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. slingshotsally

His main mistake was not to be a member of Bullingdon Club because shagging pig heads and not using quaint words like "Piccanninies". Privilege allows for youthful errors of judgement to be considered as high jinx

15. asnac

Here's a bit more information about him, from an article following his defeat of Nick Clegg in the General Election:

The 35-year-old was born in Sheffield and has been a disability campaigner for years.

Jared has cerebral palsy and is registered disabled.

As well as having been chairman of a Sheffield based disability information service, he spent over 12 years as a trustee of a Sheffield based disability charity and as a school governor of a Sheffield school.

He has a 1 class honours degree from Staffordshire University in Journalism.

And has previously stood as a candidate in council elections.

He recently told an interviewer: “Having a disability can make us more passionate, resilient, empathetic and hard-working than non-disabled candidates by virtue of everything being harder for us in life.

“I feel that every disabled candidate, whatever the party, could be better supported by the powers that be and more should be done to get disabled people with a wide range of disabilities into public life.”

16. elledriver

Are you suggesting his disability excuses him?

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Being disabled doesn't excuse him from being a mysoginist does it.

Laphroig and FrankWolley like this.
  18. slingshotsally

I've yet to meet a man who hasn't said something misogynist or sexist in passing as banter..

Of all the men in Parliament, why single him out....

frangipani123 and TCSC47 like this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Anyone thinking previous online bulletin board comments and webpages will disappear into the ether should take a look at The Internet Archive. There's stuff I wrote nearly 20 years ago still on there.

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. asnac

:confused: I'm not suggesting anything.