1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should inadequate schools become academies?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 21, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

No, but it will help fill the coffers of Tory donating academy chains.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Did re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic stop it sinking?

xena-warrior likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What'll happen to inadequate Academies?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You silly people - didn't you know that changing a school into an academy is magic?

snowyhead, lanokia and Vince_Ulam like this.
  6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I love the way that being turned into an Academy is seen as a punishment........which of course is exactly what it is!

snowyhead and monicabilongame like this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Inadequate schools need support, probably at a variety of levels.
    Do academy chains deliver this support?
    My guess is some do and some don't.
    I think the ofsted inspector should be contractually redeployed to help get the school up to the right level, as they are the experts on such things.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

As Cameron has stated he wants all schools to become academies, it doesn't matter whether you're deemed inadequate, RI or good - they'll get you in the end.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And then what... all schools become Academies... well it's not like that is a cure-all... so what then? Oh swap the schools between Academy chains from chain to chain with rebrandings every five years or so?

And then what? Because it doesn't fix the real problems!

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Probably a response to the recent study that showed that since academisation began, poorer pupils have shown worse outcomes in academies than in LA schools. The obvious solution is to make as many schools as possible academies, thereby reducing or removing the inconvenient statistic.

snowyhead likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

LA school labelled underperforming, they know they can't do any different so might as well let some academy chain make a few bob, political ideology at its finest.

12. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Can someone direct me to some serious non-partisan research that shows that there is any pupil benefit from changing status?

13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Educational research is infamous for being dire. The vast majority is mostly useless because it tries to draw conclusions on inadequate samples. Attempting to isolate factors such "changing status" is legendarily difficult. In all the decades of educational research there are probably no more than a handful of results that can be considered reliable albeit with severe health warnings about range of applicability.

14. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

It's a blatant racket for more Tory spivs to milk the taxpayer.

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Our local community school - of which I was a Governor - was forced to convert in 2012. It serves a deprived catchment and results were low ish but not if you took context into account and considered all the 'creaming off' that took place prior to Year 7.
    Last LEA inspection - Satisfactory
    First post academy inspection - RI
    Second post academy inspection - Special Measures
    It now has the lowest GCSE results in the city. Surprisingly even fewer parents want to send their children there.
    The academy sponsor was a high achieving Grammar in a very affluent area run by a friend of Gove. Surprisingly they don't seem to know a dickie bird about running an inner city high school. The amount of pupil premium money they get is eye watering and yet their OFSTED states they don't seem to have 'catch up' interventions in place for low achievers. Their other similar high school also went into SM at the same time. The Regional Schools Commissioner is 'looking into it'. Yeah right. Not even a Note of Guidance issued.

16. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The DfE have launched a consultation:

But, what's the point of a consultation when you've already decided on your course of action?

"The tough new powers, first put forward by Education Secretary Nicky Morgan in the Education and Adoption Bill in June, will allow the government to swiftly intervene and turn around failing schools. The measures will sweep away the bureaucracy previously exploited by opponents with ideological objections who could delay or obstruct the process by which academy sponsors take over to improve the running of schools. In some cases, campaigners have delayed intervention by drawing out debates, refusing to provide important information and blocking vital decisions."

17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I wrote to Nicky Morgan abut the situation at my local school and strangely she couldn't have given less of a toss. Underperforming academies seem to have a get out of jail free card. For myself I have an idealogical objection to deprived kids being held to ransom by people who make big promises then find out that it's not as easy as they have made it out to be. It's a scandal.

Vince_Ulam likes this.