1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I write an entirely new cover letter for second application at a school?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by LCass, Aug 10, 2012.

1. LCass

LCass New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Hubby and I are using the summer holidays to get CVs and the like ready for the next year's round of recruitment. Last year, I was offered an interview with a fantastic school, but unfortunately had to pull out for personal reasons. They are very likely to advertise for my subject again this year as they are expanding, and I would like to try again. I'd like to ask, should I completely change my cover letter? Or is it fine to just change some of the paragraphs slightly? It was completely tailored towards the school last year, and not much has changed since then, but I don't want to seem like I did not put in any effort, should they still hold the electronic copy on their database.
    Thank you,
    Cass

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Cass, I wouldn't change the letter except to respond to any additional information in next year's ad. Your main challenge is to convince them that your personal circumstances have changed and that they wouldn't be wasting their time reconsidering your application.

3. LCass

LCass New commenter

Thank you, I will only change it slightly. And put a short explanation into the first paragraph - it's a positive change, so hopefully it will not affect my chances.