1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I wear a suit?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by alijane2002, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I am female, aged 54 and capable of looking stern although I am a complete softy really. After 17 teaching in the same middle class junior school in the south east, I have moved house to a wonderful but far less wealthy area of the country. About to begin supply two days a week I have been warned by one supply agency that the children are very challenging. Would it be a good idea to wear pretty formal clothes (I have never worn a suit before!), bearing in mind the TES behaviour advice?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I always wear a suit on supply. I never wore one when working full-time. I reckon it make a difference - one kid once asked me "Are you the new Deputy Head?": no harm in them thinking that eh?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends. By less 'wealthy area' does that equate to deprived? I once was told I might alienate pupils by dressing 'too formally' in a deprived area school. If it's just less wealthy than your previous school, then formal will be fine. It's always best to look professional, especially as on supply you have a short time to 'impressyour standards' on an unknown class,

4. IFrom a male perspective, I wore a suit when starting supply, but in many schools felt over-dressed, and eventually dressed much the same as the permanent staff.

5. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

It's a good question, actually. I've always taught secondary, but generally in difficult schools in socially deprived areas. And I have always worn suit trousers with a shirt (plus cardi if it's cold). I would never wear a suit jacket. I feel formal enough to be professional and have authority, yet comfortable enough to not be too removed from the pupils.

6. Thanks for your advice. Yes, I do mean socially deprived. I think I will buy a smart linen jacket and wear heels. Not quite a suit but pretty formal. Wish me luck!

7. Lara mfl 05

Certainly.
    I'm starting a long-term supply cover tomorrow too! But I know the school & know that 'smart casual' is needed- so it's a skirt, blouse & gilet (I find them so useful fo carrying all the oddments of memory stick/ raffle tickets etc.).

8. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Good luck alijane and Lara! I'm really pleased for you both!

9. Lara mfl 05

Thank you jmntsp. Sometimes one feels really guilty posting about work when one is aware how little there is for huge numbers of people.

10. I'm amazed, and had to look twice to check you were talking about the Primary sector! I don't even see the management team in suits in most of the schools where I work. But it's given me food for thought ... if it's been found to help with behaviour then it's worth considering, isn't it.
    I usually look reasonably smart, but don't have anything resembling a suit. I sometimes wear my hair in a bun, and dark rimmed glasses, but I think I'm the only person in the class who finds that scary!

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For some reason I'm getting a mental image of John Inman as Mr Humphries, but he always wore a suit and tie for work.