1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I wake LO up in the morning?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bruno71, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hi I am really struggling to establish a routine with my LO who is 14 weeks old, as he is so unpredicable. I work on the basis of him being able to be awake and content for about 1 1/2 hours from waking and then put him for a nap. He usually settles himself within 5 mins, but the time he stays asleep for varies from 40mins -1 1/2 hours so this throws out the rest of the day's feeds and sleeps and means that no two days are the same. He also wakes up at varying times in the morning- anything from 5.30-7.30am. Because of this the days feeds are always at different times as I tend to feed him every 3 hours.
    Should I try to start a set morning feed of say 6.30am and on the mornings he is up at 5.30 make him wait an hour and have my alarm set for 6.30am for days that he might sleep longer? Do you think thst this would help establish the routine for the day? He is such a nightmare in the day with his naps, gets really overtired and can sometimes cry on and off for 1/2 an hour before going to sleep so I am so reluctant to wake him if it goes past his due feed time. Also some days he seems to be able to be awake and content for 2 hours and others only 1 hour (not at consistent times of day tho) so this also throws out the routine as I don't want to keep him up too long when he is tired, or equally put him down when he too awake just to fit in with his routine
    What do others do???
    HELP!

2. I personally would say wake him/her.
    My little man is 22 weeks old and I have tried both ways. I just find it easier to know when he will need feeding or be asleep. When I have to book an appointment I know when I can hope for him to be asleep or when I might need to be back for feed time. I also know that if I give him his 1pm feed and then set off to asda, I can get all my shopping done in peace during his long nap.
    We have been roughly following a plan since 10 weeks and we've now got to the stage where I don't need to set an alarm. Seb wakes up at 7am every day and if one morning he doesn't (like today when he woke up at 8.30) he still expects his next feed at 10am.
    I hope you get it sorted soon.