1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I tell the truth?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elohim, Jun 15, 2011.

1. So a teacher got drunk on a school trip with primary school children. He was assumed to be on night duty with the rest of the teachers - but he was away at a bar getting drunk. He then didn't show for work until late into the afternoon the following day.
    I was not on the school trip myself but I heard this story from another teacher on the Friday evening (after the trip had ended). She pledged that she would tell the head teacher what had happened. She also explained that someone else of authority was on the school trip and may or may not tell the head teacher the truth or the whole story. This person from administration could be reluctant to explain to the head teacher the truth because she's soft and hates confrontation, and is new to the job.
    Anyway, I have now found out that the story told to the head teacher by the admin lady was that the teacher had simply been arguing with others the night before - which is why teachers are now walking around and are not happy with him.
    The other teacher didn't keep her pledge and has not said anything to the head teacher in fear of the admin lady being exposed for her lies.
    I am ready to walk into the office and tell, becuase I can't stand the unprofessionalism of this drunken teacher. He's always been like this and I'm not prepared to work with his bog standards next year.
    Should I tell?

2. I'd say if you've got issues with this other teacher about standards etc then address them with him straight out, ......if others had a problem with how he behaved, then let them sort it- you weren't there, what you've heard is hearsay and while you can judge him about issues that involve you, this one didn't.......

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Unless you've got bang-to-rights proof of this allegation (and bear in mind that 'someone there told me' isn't such a thing), I'd be very, very careful if I were you. Teachers are notoriously reluctant to offer up corroboration of a story that might well get a colleague sacked.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

You stated in the other thread that you actively dislike this teacher. I believe your words were that you "can't stand" him and that you "hope he gets the sack".
    I'd hope that it's professional interest that's causing you to wish to act and not personal feelings.

5. A bit of both.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I dont think you should pass on a 'he said, she said'. If you were not there and did not see anything first hand, and those who did are claiming something else it seems to me that there is little you can do.

7. totally agree. Best to stay quiet

8. Haven't you already posted on this subject?
    You weren't there. Your HT will need evidence of this chap's unprofessional behaviour if (s)he is going to take disciplinary action - as you weren't there you can't provide it. Unless someone who was there is prepared to dob him in then I can't see what you can do.
    You obviously have a serious issue with this person and if they are behaving in the way you describe then it's understandable. I just don't think you can complain about his actions on a trip when you didn't attend. It's possible that the teacher who told you about the incident was lying - remember, she hasn't been prepared to follow through and tell the HT herself.