1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I tell the HT i have an interview?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by eekological, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:
?

Should I tell the HT I have an interview?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2017.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eekological

eekological New commenter

Hi

I have an interview coming up for a promoted post elsewhere. Should I tell the HT of my school I have an interview?

Thanks

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Always.
    Best coming from you, rather than the reference request. If possible, speak to them in person briefly on Monday.

wanet likes this.
  3. eekological

eekological New commenter

Thanks. I am allowed to request references are asked for after interview.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Absolutely. Of course you must tell your Head, you're going to need a reason for absence and it would be considered extremely rude not to tell them.

In fact I always gave them a 'heads up', I'm applying for a post, would it be alright to use your name as a reference.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Lara mfl 05 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Yes. You must not pretend an absence is for another reason so you need to ask them. Although some application forms give a box to tick if you don’t want references taken up before interview, safeguarding reasons ask for calling references first. The school should contact you to ask permission to call references before interview. If you refuse they should withdraw the offer of an interview. That’s how it is in our area anyway.

Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You should have done so when you applied.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

Obviously, you have to apply for the day off, but that doesn't need to go through the head.

Beyond that, it's a question of good manners. Do you FEEL like telling your HT?

9. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Yes.

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.