1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I tell on drunk colleague?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jmw22156, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I know that seems like a ridiculous question and, of course, I know I should. She's not exactly drunk at work but she stinks so bad of booze some days! I know for a fact that she has a drink most mornings before work, it's just so wrong! I have spoken to the head about this but nothing seems to be done, I don't even think she's being monitored. Other members of staff have also noticed this but they won't speak up.

2. You say nothing seems to be being done. If you've already mentioned it to the Head it may be that something is in place without your knowledge.
    You could try your staff governor but if you are sure nothing is being done the only place to would be Chair of Governors primarily as a complaint about your Head's negligence.
    Very tricky position to be in. Good luck

3. She may have had a drink or two the night before.
    Has she made a terrible mistake at work etc? ... How do you know she had a drink before work?
    Let's avoid judging.
    Let me know

4. No, not judging. She's not made any terrible mistakes yet, thank goodness! She openly admits to drinking a bottle of wine and 4 lagers every night, her neighbour, who used to work at school, has seen her in her garden at 7.45a.m swigging from a can of Stella! Now that, to me, is a serious problem and I really don't believe she should be working with children.
    I have (since my first posting) been told that she is being monitored as another member of staff has spoken to the head.

5. Yes you should tell. Discreetly and confidentially. For her own good, to start with. My brother is a recovering alcoholic, and believe me... I KNOW the signs, its a terrible illness. It wreaks havoc right across the board, harmful to the addicts families and friends and every part of their lives. As well as to any one sharing the road with them, if she is driving to work? Dont feel guilty, you will be doing her the biggest favour. It has to stop. With kindness, tolerance and a little understanding - its not easy for you all- she may well become a sober person again. In my opinion AA is the only way, but the drinker has to really want to stop. Its a long road, but the sooner it is started the better. You sound like good friend, and it may save her life. really, I know it sounds dramatic. Its a much more common and a much bigger problem than most of us realise, thats why its called Alcoholics Anonymous. They say that AA has a low success rate, and maybe thats true i dont know, but i also know 2 people who have become sober, in spite of alcohol's deep rooted hold on them. The drinker relies on lies lies and lies. Along with other people's embarrassment. Its o=not an easy task, and i wish you lots of luck. xx

6. ALSO ... and i am sorry to go on like this but.....we dont judge a person with cancer or other illnesses, we should NOT judge the addict. Pushing it under a carpet and with it our responsibility to family friends and colleagues is cowardly and uncaring. THey need our support. Usually things ARE what they seem.
    My brother has told me all about the BIG hit you get from drinking a stella quickly, and its is never just one. If she has admitted to drinking that quantity in the evening you can safely assume that she actually drinks double or treble that. Alarmed? yes, its so awful for these lovely people for whom this narcotic has in its grip. I am not a complete tee totaller, but having seen it in my family, its easy to be put off. Oh i do hope i am wrong.