1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I tell my head I'm applying for another job?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by silverme, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Hello Sparky1985

I im currently an nqt at a school i just started in sept. and i am going to be applying to graduate jobs in the corporate world. should i tell the school??

can i not? im scared that if they find out, and i do not get accepted with the jobs i apply to, then i will lose my contract next year.

thanks in advance!

2. Hi, that makes it trickier. Do you not feel teaching is for you? If you intend to return to teaching at some point in the future I would be inclined to say continue with the job until July to get induction out of the way (but obviously I don't know your personal circumstances which could change everything).
    Unless you are on a years contract or temporary you can not lose your job at the end of the year regardless of how many other jobs you apply for throughout the year. It would go against you though should a TLR come up - they would be more likely to choose someone they know will not be going anywhere.
    If you are on a year's contract and if the job is outside education I would keep quiet. As you say, and you are right, you may come across as uncommitted to teaching and so they may choose to replace you at the end of your contract thinking you may just leave anyway mid year should something else come up.
    However there are two sides to every coin... you could tell them, not get the job and then work your socks off until July and prove that you are committed to teaching and that you are a good investment.