1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I take this job? Behaviour issues - weak HT?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crysys, Jun 10, 2011.

1. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I'd appreciate some advice on this issue [​IMG]
    I've been offered a part-time post in a local school, teaching boosters in lit/num to year 6 for most of the coming year. I was initially thrilled as part-time posts are very thin on the ground here if you don't want a job share. I have done a few days supply to get a 'feel' for the place and today came home questioning whether I have the stamina for the behaviour issues prevalent within the school. I've taught in several schools for well over 20 years and have experienced just about everything but I wasn't really prepared for what I experienced and heard today. Ok - the current year 6 are pretty high at the moment - no surprises there but the class teacher shared her exasperation with me over not having been able to cope herself all year with the constant challenges from a huge contingent of boys with no real strategies put in place by the HT to help. Behavioural charts or home/school contact books don't exist and the pupils just seem to have no respect for authority or the HT's position so there is no real avenue for dealing with them firmly after all the rewards and normal sanctions have been explored. Parents apparently refuse to accept that there are problems with their children and so support from that direction is unforthcoming. Yet I am not sure why this is. A previous HT used to get on the case of errant parents, getting us to document poor behaviour as ammunition towards exclusion. Is it a case of the HT not wishing to stand up to parents or trying to avoid the minefield of trying to exclude? Could it be that the parents are just as 'weak' and their children are uncontrollable at home too therefore making any pressure from the school futile? The HT told me herself that the year 6s were a problem - surely acceptance of the situation is not productive? Wouldn't a good HT prefer to say that previously problematic, pupils' behaviour at the school had improved or was being effectively dealt with?
    The current yr 5s are similarly challenging so you can hopefully understand my concern. I'm just too long in the tooth to start feeling sick every morning at the prospect of going to work and crying into my cocoa every night! I know - I'm a professional - I can try and carve out my own niche with these pupils. I have done that before but I am fearful that without proper support, I could be in for a miserable year!

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

If you think you can cope, go for it.

if not, go to HomeBase, and join them, all you have to say is "do you have a Nectar Card?"

3. crysys

Hardly helpful....may I suggest you don't post late at night when you are at your most cynical?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was going to post more or less the same sort of thing.

If you really want the job/money and think you can cope then go for it. If you don't think you can or don't want to/need to then don't. (M&S is better than Homebase though, nicer perks!)

Poor behaviour and weak SLT would have me running for the hills though.

5. crysys

I guess I was hoping for some words of wisdom on the bigger picture surrounding my question. [​IMG]

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Is this why would were asking about bringing back the cane?

7. If its a temporary contract for a year, and you would only be having small groups of children in your booster group, i'd go for it. In smaller groups they may be more managable, and feel more engaged as their learning will be more personalised. I dont think there's anything to stop you putting your own behavious strategies into place (you mention reward charts, could you do some of your own for them?)

8. crysys

Thank you for the considered responses on here. I certainly appreciate insights from experienced colleagues. As for poor discipline in schools and poor leadership - I presume that is subject matter for a whole different thread. [​IMG]

9. No, not at all - it's fine to discuss them but obviously you can't change this school. If you are asking for advice about taking the post I'd be inclined to say don't do it from what you've written. If you hate working in schools with poor discipline and weak leadership (these are sentiments which I share with you) then you will be very unhappy and stressed.
    There aren't that many job options if you won't job share though but there is always supply.