1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I take this into account or not?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by breadmaker, Nov 20, 2011.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Would really appreciate some advice.
    I am observing a yg colleague on Tuesday for PM and I know he has really worked hard to improve his performance by acting on advice, responding to informal criticism and suggestions etc. Ongoing result is much better learning for the children overall.
    Do I take any of this into account when grading the lesson I see on Tuesday or is the judgement to be based solely on what happens in that hour?Thanks for any replies.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would hope he was!!

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I'm not normally someone who comes along and flames people on here, but ...
    How much training have you received to observe lessons?
    I can't imagine how anyone with a secure grounding in the OFSTED grading system could possibly ask this question. The grading is based on <u>the amount of progress children made during the lesson</u>, benchmarked against how much might have reasonably expected.
    I cannot see how there is any room for maneouvre in this judgement ... either the children make progress, or they don't. Someone who doesn't understand that shouldn't really have been put in a position to make a judgement on another teacher's lesson, let alone one who would appear to be potentially needing support.
    Even if your judgement is lower than the teacher might hope, you can, of course, use the write up to identify where the teacher has been successful in improving his practice.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

If he's anything like the young male colleague I worked with a while ago, I wouldn't just be observing the children!![​IMG]
    Is that sexist? Don't really care, he brightened up all our days for a while.

5. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

To provide a more reasoned response for you (flame me down if you wish!!!) I would consider both options, which I do for a member of staff currently in informal stages of capability. The lesson has to be seen in isolation; i'm not sure if OFSTED grades are that useful, but should be based on the lesson, progress within the lesson being key. However, I see no reason why you can't add some narrative onto the crit about the overall positives of this colleagues performance to date; if there is an action plan for him, maybe reference this too!

Hope this helps.

6. Sexist? No. Unprofessional, worrying and a bit creepy? In my opinion, yes.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, you're wrong, brookes.
    It's also very sexist.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Ye gods! I know there are quite a few HTs who are so in awe of Ofsted that they'd bend over and moon in front of the entire Governing Body if an inspector required it, but this teacher is being observed for Performance Management purposes.
    It is NOTHING TO DO WITH OFSTED.
    Sometimes I think that the country will end up with no teachers at all given the combined weight of overly nervous heads, the current government and OFSTED. No matter - when all the teachers have gone it will be down to heads to take over full-time classroom commitments.

9. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Thank you

10. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

The OP is asking for specific advice as to 'grading' the lessons. She is not asking for advice on observing the lesson against the teacher's personal targets.
    Putting aside the fact that it is relatively unlikely that the school have invented their own grading system and are most probably using the OFSTED one, any grading is going to be based around what happens in the lesson and with particular reference to the pupils' learning.
    To suggest that these may be flexible in some way based on the past performance of the teacher implies that the OP is not secure in making judgements on a lesson. I would hazard a guess that she has been dropped in at the deep end by her SLT without proper training on how to make such judgements.
    This is not good for her (lack of professional development), nor for the teacher who is potentially going to have something on his PM record which may or may not be a fair evaluation of his lesson.