1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I take the opportunity?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by FrostyLemon, Sep 6, 2015.

1. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon New commenter

Hi everyone

I have just finished my NQT year in KS1 and have decided to try supply for the next few months. However, an agency that I recently signed up with has contacted me about taking on a full time position in a school. I immediately thought that this was strange and probably should have been sorted out before everyone broke up for summer. It's also making me wonder why it has happened...

It's in year six, which I have zero experience of and is a one year contract. Apparently I will be paid for 20 weeks by the agency and then be moved onto a contract with the school after that. It's the security which is tempting me, but I haven't even given supply a go yet.

This is all new to me, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I think you are very wise to think about why a school has a vacancy so suddenly. If I were you, think very carefully and do as much research as you can in connection with the school. Is it in a category of requires improvement? Do you know anything at all about the school? If it is a challenging school you might want to get some more experience before taking on something like that. You are also right to consider what it would be like to teach a year six group if you have no experience of year six; add that into a mix of a challenging school and you are going to be up against a lot of extra work - especially if you are going to be planning and marking.

If I were you and you are looking for a break from stress and doing supply just to get your confidence back up or for whatever reason, you may wish to consider just doing day to day supply for the time being.

What you could do is to go to this particular school for say a week to see if you like it then you could make a further commitment; what you don't want to do is to take on something which you are going to absolutely hate and want to get out of.

My advice is to be very wary and be extra cautious. The school or the agency may not tell you the full truth of the situation and the only way you are going to know for sure is to be there ; and that is why if you say you are willing to go for a day or so to work to have a look around. That request is not at all unreasonable and the agency and school will understand. If they don't understand then tough since you MUST look after yourself since the school and the agency in that order will be looking out after themselves.

If you do decide to take the job after having a look around first, ensure that you get a higher daily rate to reflect the time you are going to spend in marking, planning and other duties you will be required to do on a long term contract.

The only benefit for you taking on this role would be that you are knowing where you are going every day and getting some valuable experience. On the other hand, it might start to get busy and you would get as much work on day to day although it might be at different schools each day.

Let us know what you decide in the end and best wishes to you for your new venture.

Pepper5

3. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Is this in Brighton? If so, PM me the name of the school and I can tell you all about it.

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Don't touch it with a bargepole. Year 6 is challenging for an experienced teacher, you will be responsible for the new arrangements for this years sats, new curriculum, new everything.

You won't even be paid the going rate for the responsibility until half way through the year, February half term. There is a huge leap from KS1 to KS2, leave it alone.

5. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon New commenter

Thank you all for your replies, they were very helpful and gave me a lot to think about. I decided to do day-to-day supply, as it's been my intention all along and I think I was just getting cold feet about financially supporting myself. I want to get a taste for schools in the area and pick one that I can commit to long term. If I was already settled in a school then I might be tempted to take on the challenge of year 6, but in a new school I think I would find it too much.

Thank you all again, i've never been on such a supportive forum! I guess that's why you are all teachers.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are welcome Frosty. You have made a wise decision and well done for getting some different views. We can all learn from each other.

Take care and let us know when you get working and how you like it.

Many people enjoy supply once they gat started.

7. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

I think you saved yourself a lot of headaches and heartaches but chances are high that you would not be appreciated and be used a dumping ground. Pepper explained it well.