1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I suspend my classroom sanctions whilst prospective teachers are being observed teaching?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Middlemarch, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Under no circumstances whatsoever should you say anything of the kind to your class - to do so would be unprofessional and might land you in serious trouble.
    Why do you need to say anything about this to your class at all (if they are the class chosen for the interview lessons)?

2. Not a head but someone who has taught many challenging children and done quite a few interview lessons!
    The only professional and acceptable approach is to tell your class that on x day at x time they will have a lesson with a different teacher. There'll be members of your SMT in the room so the chances are they'll behave relatively well.
    I'd strongly advise thinking as little as possible about other candidates. Focus all your energies now on your written application for the job so that you get an interview. If you achieve this, you'll need to start all your preparations for the interview. Pop over to the Jobseeker's forum for some excellent advice from Theo Griff.

3. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Thanks for all replies. I have reflected on this further and, having done my fair share of supply, realise that it's impossible to deal with behaviour in a one-off lesson, so I'll make sure my class are on their very best behaviour should any observed teaching take place in my class.