1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I still feel cross?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by hyssop_puppy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. This happened near the end of term and I should probably let it go now. But I do still feel cross.
    Our Literacy Co-ordinator was promoted to Assistant Deputy (HT doesn't like the confusion of hierarchy in title AHT). The new post meant stopping being Lit Co. In advance of this I asked the HT to consider allowing me to take on Literacy.
    I have been Maths Co-ordinator for 13 years at this school, and Phase Leader for Foundation Stage. We have had two outstanding Ofsted's, including the sepaate EY inspection so I feel I have proved my worth to the school.
    HT appeared to like my suggestion but said that as he was doing further internal TLR2b promotions, he needed to wait and see what the people he appointed wanted.
    Should have spotted then the fact that my wants were being put below people who have been at the school for less time and done a lot less over that shorter time.
    He then appointed three new TLR2b's (was only looking for two but hadn't the b**ls to turn one down).
    He has yet to come to me and tell me that I will be continuing to co-ordinate maths, because none of his new SMT would do it and one of them made a fuss to get Literacy. I don't make a fuss you see so it's easy to disappoint me.
    What makes me cross is his lack of regard for me in omitting to come and tell me his decision personally. Instead I heard it all on the school grapevine. That is pretty poor isn't it? I did tell the DHT how I felt but I don't think she did anything with it.
    Should I tell him I'm cross?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd have been sympathetic but for the notion that your 'wants' have any relevance to the effective management of teaching and learning at the school.
    It's not about what you want - it's about what will be best - in the head's judgement (since the head is ultimately responsible) for the school.
    Tell him you're cross? Only if you want to kill forever your chances of further promotion in the school. But ask for a chat and express disappointment not to have the chance to show what you could do with literacy and ask to be considered if there are any further, suitable vancancies, whilst being gracious and thoroughly professional - that's a good idea.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Awwww...just blame hormones.

4. minnieminx, it's like you know me!!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Well we can't be colleagues...our maths co-ord wouldn't swap for literacy for all the tea in China! And I would happily do maths for her! And our HT would definitely let me!

6. I have enjoyed being Maths, just thought a change would make for an ineresting challenge.
    Anyway, my silver lining is that a good friend of mine, another FS manager has just taken on maths at her school, which means two lots of managers briefings to have fun at together!!
    (Of course I don't go to mess about!!)

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

See you sound better already! This forum is great for making you smile again.

do have a chat with your HT, just so that he knows you were serious about taking on literacy and it wasn't just a whim. If you don't tell him you are disappointed he won't know.

8. I do feel better and I will speak to him.
    And I plan to dump CLLD on the new Literacy Co-ordinator!! That will definitely put a smile on my face.

9. Middlemarch

That you didn't come back at me with the traditional TES 'Bog off if you can't say something nice' response puts you up massively in my estimation and speaks volumes for the calibre of professional you are. You're clearly right to rant on here and are getting your head around a major disappointment. Try not to look at your colleagues quite so disparagingly, however - I've been there and that way lies madness! I can only say that those people who I felt, when I was younger in my career, got promoted before me and shouldn't have done, have got nowhere near as far as I have.
    I'm a great believer - and I regularly tell staff and friends who are disappointed over jobs - in one door closing and another, better one opening. I was interviewed for 3 deputy headships and know I did really well, but was completely gutted not to get them. The fourth I got - and it was a better school, much higher salary and a wonderful head, who helped me so much I got a headship within three years.
    Sometimes - getting promoted where you are is definitely not the best thing for your career. But if it's what you'd prefer - just have that friendly, professional conversation with the head.
    Good luck.

10. It's really not a question of promotion. I'm really very happy being at the level I am, indeed in the roles I currently fulfill.
    I find what I do massively rewarding and I don't particularly want to change things. I would not like to be out of the classroom more with greater management responsibilities, for example. I don't particularly want to be earning a higher salary. (That does sound daft, I know!)
    I'm not a spring chicken looking to take the next step along a glittering career path. I just felt that a new challenge was in the offing and that I was ready for a change of focus for my management skills, especially as I know the head will not be moving me out of Reception, and away from FS Phase Leadership anytime soon.
    My big problem is his oversight in coming to tell me personally.
    You are probably right about me going mad if I think too much about how rubbish some of my colleagues are. Don't even get me started on how little common sense the young teacher in Reception with me is!!!
    Thank you for your good wishes. I'll probably be back on here in September if I manage to have my professional disappointment discussion with the head!

11. Should probably have made clear that I am currently TLR2b myself, so becoming Lit Co would not have changed my level within the school, just my specific role.

12. Middlemarch

Ah, I see!

13. Now I think I've just gone down again in your estimation, as a whinger, haven't I?
    My moan was really mostly about wishing the head had told me what he'd decided. By the end of term he still hadn't. For all he knows, I still think I'm in with a chance of being Literacy Co-ordinator!
    I would mind betting that you, Middlemarch, would not leave one of your senior teachers up in the air like that.

14. Middlemarch

Actually, you haven't at all - it's creditable that you're not chasing more money/status, but genuinely wanted to experience this different role. And I do understand feeling peeved about not actually being told.
    I hope that I wouldn't leave anyone I managed dangling like that.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If your HT is actually a decent enough man and good HT, he probably just hadn't realised how serious you were and how much it mattered. He probably thinks you are fine with continuing with maths, but wouldn't have minded literacy as a change. He didn't get round to telling you formally, but probably thinks someone else will have done and so no harm done as you weren't all that bothered anyway.

But definitely give away the CLLD...

16. Thank you again for your sympathetic responses Middlemarch.

17. Already told the LA Consultant the name of the person she'll be dealing with. Already told the DHT my intention to hand it over, while telling her how I felt about it all (I refer you to one of my earlier posts on this thread).
    Saving telling HT and the new Lit Co for September. Something to look forward to I feel!!

18. And I still have said nothing and we're in a new year.
    I'd probably just quietly put up with this now, considering that I should have spoken sooner, so should now leave it but I have had a new slap in the professional face and I'm feeling his lack of respect and consideration for my efforts all over again.
    Middlemarch, I'm seeking your calm reason again please!
    As Foundation Stage Manager, I organise a meeting for parents, looking at how they can support their children's learning at home. I talk about our teaching of phonics, reading and writing and I know from feedback that parents really appreciate this.
    Apparently my Head does not.
    He and his deputy had both left school before the start of the meeting, which started at 6.00pm, not having asked if I was set, had everything I needed, was OK on my own in school. Actually That's not the bit that I'm really bothered about. Neither of them can really offer any practical help and I don't particularly want them there cramping my style!! Just seeing a lack of courtesy there.
    It's the fact that neither of them (let alone our new Literacy co-ordinator!) has asked me how it went or even said thank you.
    Perhaps I am just a whinger, but I do feel utterly taken for granted and am determined to speak this time, mentioning how I felt in the summer being overlooked in favour of a young, leggy blonde. You can decide for yourselves if that is relevant to his choices!!

19. If you want to move up, move on.

That's not a general slogan, but in your case, from the details outlined in your posts, you have been overlooked too much (in my view).

20. It really isn't a case of moving up, or I would happily move on.
    It's a matter of personal respect, common courtesy, good manners, not being taken for granted.
    I'd be loathe to move out of a school where I enjoy working, have colleagues who are friends, where the school community is such a happy one, where the children and their families make coming to work a pleasure (most days!!), just because the boss is and ill-mannered git.
    I think it may be time to politely explain my feelings and then consider moving on if that spoils my situation beyond my endurance.