1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I stay ?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TraineeJess, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TraineeJess

TraineeJess New commenter

Hey , I am behaviour and PE lead at my school. I do not get time or money for either due to the TLR payments being unavailable as our English and Maths leads (both year 6) have them. I love the children at my school and have definitely noticed a change in both physical activity and behaviour since leading , which is fantastic. My classes over the past 3 years have made good/accelerated progress and all lesson observations have been marked good. However , we are constantly told as a staff my our middle management that we are doing everything wrong and it’s really upsetting seeing my colleagues, pupils and friends around me getting their mood crushed by negative vibes.

I want to feel like I’m making an impact but also that it’s appreciated by management. My head teacher is fantastic but doing 30 hours extra a week with no time to do the subjects is beginning to drain. However I don’t think I could stay at the school and not do the extras as I am committed to the children’s happiness ( it’s my why ).

My partner , family and friends outside of school want me to leave as they say it’s effecting my health and I’ll never get any further at out school but I’m nervous that if I start at a new school I’m starting at ground 0 again.

What do you all think ? Any experiences or suggestions would be amazing.

Thanks so much.

install likes this.
  2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

You're doing dozens of extra hours for no money, no thanks and no appreciation. Why? OK, I understand that you like and want to do the best for the children at your school but you're being used by your senior leaders. You either need to move somewhere else where you will be appropriately remunerated, or you need to tackled your senior leaders with regards to your time and worth. If your family say your health is being affected, listen to them.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done for making good professional progress, taking on responsibility and making a difference. This will all look good on your CV.
    If you've done these roles for 3 years, you're probably ready for professional progression,

It is miserable when leaders get to a position where nothing is ever good enough. This is another reason for considering a move, and something to bear in mind when you get further responsibility - yes you will need to modify the way people work, but try and find positive things to say as well as only seeing the carp pond.

If you read the threads here, you will note that not all job moves and increased responsibility work out well BUT THAT SOME DO. Do not go after the first job that will have you, consider the school carefully and do not be afraid to withdraw part way through an interview if you feel that a school is not for you.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are behaviour and PE lead, you probably won't need to start back at the bottom again.
    You could look to a middle leader role yourself and make sure to do things differently to what you have experienced at this school.
    Or a sideways move to a totally different school will be good professional development as well.

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Nearly all primary teachers take on responsibilities for subject/area leadership and often only core subject leaders receive a TLR, it's par for course really and is unlikely to be much different anywhere else.

Your middle leaders sound a bit rubbish though - You say your HT is fantastic, why not ask them for a chat? Explain how you feel and that you're thinking of leaving. You'll soon find out how much they really value you then...

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Leave - your health comes first always

7. install

install Star commenter

Leave - your health comes first always