1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by tish83, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I am a 3rd year teacher, at an 'Outstanding' school. I get on really well with my department but want something more. The difficulty is, my department is large and there are 4 other 3rd year teachers within it. There is little opportunity to move upwards. I have been looking but there seems to be little out there at present. I don't know whether to stay where I am and bide my time, or move to another school, to a smaller department ( a job is available at a school closer to where I live.) If I left it would be a sideways move, but I'd hope that there would be more opportunity for promotion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Only you will know what is right - however 3 years isn't a huge amount of time and you are unlikely to be 'stuck' in your job. Why not ask to take on some things, extra curricular or aspects of T&L that interest you? Even though you are doing these for experience rather than pay, it does mean that if a great job comes up either internally or externally you will be in a prime position to get it. You might find if you move sideways that you will very quickly feel that you would have liked more, alternatively it might prove an interesting way to widen your knowledge.
    I think you can bide your time and enhance your skills too, whether it is increasing yr curriculum knowledge, or working with student teachers or making exciting new resources. You could also have a conversation with your LM showing you are keen to take on more, this might be helpful in getting their view of your position and the potential there might be, Good Luck,[​IMG]