1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I stay or should I go-which GCSE provider?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by madjessy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi guys looking to start a debate.
    I don't want to state too much about my situation at the moment as I don't want to add too much of a personal touch to this (I may later though). I am however looking to seek advice which goes beyond what I can gleam from the black and white of a specification layout.
    My question is this.
    At GCSE which specification is best?
    This is what I know to be the differences thus far;
    Edexcel= practical exam or flexible performance support.
    AQA- Written exam- not ideal for most students.

2. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

Most? I would say 'some.'

3. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

I used to do Edexcel and moderate for them as a final p-erformance examiner

I now do OCR Expressive Arts which is lovely - and allows students to work on their own should they wish. There's no written exam but 60% written course work and 40% practical over 3 units.

It suits my students as they like to incorporate dance, art and design and creative writing into their drama.; It allows students to use a lot of technology should they vwish too.

You need to do what is rigth for your school and your students

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I used to examine for EDEXCEL, but the shambolic nature forced me to abandon.... I have taught AQA, which on the old spec was quite over complicated for my students to grasp in its construction so I now do WJEC which I find linear and balanced, and perhaps most importantly, a supportive board to work with.