1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

should i stay or go?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by trainee1992, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hi!
    Im second year BA Hons QTS and im really not sure about teaching. Just on my second year block and i dont think im doing too good. When im teaching, i feel great but then when it all goes wrong, i feel like breaking down.
    Ive been debating for a while whether do stay or not but everyone who i speak to tells me il make a great teacher!
    Advice?

2. Hi!
    Im second year BA Hons QTS and im really not sure about teaching. Just on my second year block and i dont think im doing too good. When im teaching, i feel great but then when it all goes wrong, i feel like breaking down.
    Ive been debating for a while whether do stay or not but everyone who i speak to tells me il make a great teacher!
    Advice?

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

To be a great teacher you need to have an eye for detail! Grammar, punctuation and spelling are key areas!
    Also I find it quite frustrating that so many young people are coming into the profession with doubts. Did you not consider what teaching is all about before signing up to a degree with QTS?
    I've had to encounter too many trainees who have not got about the job, in fact so many have not actually been in a school before rocking up as a trainee. Do yourself and the profession a favour - make a firm decision and stick to it! If you do decide to remain, expect long hours, hard work, unruly children and parents, low pay but on the flip side a fulfilling, rewarding career like no other!

4. lovely.lady

a clue about...
    Also proofreading before hitting submit, doh!

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

And what do the people around you say who are actually assessing you? We all get bad days and the sense we're better off elsewhere, but it's up to you to listen to what you're being told.

6. Lovely.lady-

Yes i have had experience in schools- quite a lot actually! My friend is a trainee teacher so i know full well what the job entailed before i started this course.

Thank you for the advice though.

7. Thank you! I am getting quite ok feedback and i am listening to the advice given.

8. tictactoe1

tictactoe1 New commenter

If you feel like this on your second block placement, in your second year of training maybe you're not cut out to be a teacher? It doesn't get any easier. Just harder. Also, to be feeling like this so early on it doesn't give readers the idea you have a lot of passion for the profession? But this is just my opinion..

9. It doesn't get any easier. Just harder. Also, to be feeling like this so early on it doesn't give readers the idea you have a lot of passion for the profession? But this is just my opinion

Thank you for this.... But with some long thought and deliberation.... im going to stay! My heart is in this and your opinion is very valued. As they say, you only get out of it what you put in!

10. lovely.lady

I'm pleased you've decided to stay but please note that having a fried who is a trainee teacher is not the same as having experience in schools.
    Once qualified it is a whole new ball game! A whole new set of responsibilities. My advice to anyone thinking they want to enter teaching is firstly do a stand alone degree rather than the combined degree and QTS. Following that work for a while before doing a PGCE. Also whilst doing said degree you can volunteer in schools and also if you then think that teaching is not for you, you have the opportunity to make other choices because you will have a degree rather than a 'teaching only' degree!

11. I completely understand where your coming from and your opinion is 100% valued. Thank you for the great advice and i now feel at ease with my decision. Explaining to someone what teaching is like is try to expalin to someone what it's like to drive... you never fully understand until you have done it for yourself. When i stand and teach and see that the kids are enjoying the lesson, it brings great joy! And i know some days are worse than others but.... the worse days are shorter than the good ones!
    Thank you!

12. Expect these highs and lows as you train - talk to your tutor and get objective advice as well as advice from sources such as this forum. It is all too easy think that things are bad, when you are just having a bit of a rough patch. We all have them. Seek help from your tutor.
    James

13. ILoveTeaching

ILoveTeaching New commenter

I think it just get easier and easier. I would not wish teacher training on my enemy! NQT was a measurable amount easier (all relative of course). Second year was easier again. I know that as you progress you take on more responsibilities, but the added confidence you get with years of experience really helps make the job seem easier to me.
    I am always surprised to hear people telling trainee teachers that they "have it easy" and "just you wait until your NQT year". etc. I really do think they are talking rubbish! IMO
    Keep the faith...you will get there.
    :)