1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I sign contract??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Kmt41, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Kmt41

Kmt41 New commenter

I feel so fortunate to have recently got a job. It's part time but I haven't yet seen the timetable. I am worried that the timetable may be spread over 4/5 days when I'm actually working 0.6. The school will try their best to avoid this I know but is it ok to wait before signing the contract? The school is a fair commute as well and I'm not prepared to go in for the odd hour etc. Just concerned as it is mid year and the timetable might be tricky to rearrange. Hope some of you out there have some experience of this. Any ideas really appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you've accepted the post you've already committed yourself and in law a verbal contract is still binding.
    Do you mean you'll renege on the agreement if the timetable is not to your liking? You're right it is difficult to re-arrange timetables mid year, but not impossible. Years ago when I was taken on as a supernumery to run Booster classes to target children in the run up to SATs, the children <u>did</u> have a completely new timetable form Feb - May.
    I'd contact the school as soon as possible. They've said they'll try to be accomodating, so just explain your concerns.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It was really a question to ask before accepting. Hopefully they will do their best, and if it turns out that there is a day with just a single lesson, it would not be unreasonable to ask whether they can find another solution for that lesson. A compromise might involve you setting work for a cover supervisor. (It depends rather on the subject, level, and how many lessons per week they have whether this is a viable solution.)
    I've taken two January-start part-time contracts - for one, they had re-jigged the timetable before the interviews, and had done as well as possible in the circumstances (three lessons per week for each group made three days inevitable). For the other, they couldn't re-jig until they knew who they were appointing, and fortunately for them I was flexible as I lived very close. But they did double-check that I didn't mind going in every day, and then made sure that lessons were adjacent.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are indeed fortunate to have got a job! There are thousands of unemployed teachers who would envy you, so jolly well done in getting that.
    While I can understand your concerns, this is something that you should have really sorted out before accepting the job. As you have accepted, even if only verbally, you have already entered into a valid contract with the school. After all, you wouldn't expect them, on the first day you turn up for work, to say "Sorry, we've got someone else who didn't mind the odd timetable" and leave you unemployed . . .
    This may sound a bit harsh, but I'm just letting you see the situation from their point of view.
    If you do withdraw now (i.e. break your contract with them), you will have to accept that you may well be . . . well, I won't say blacklisted, but at least persona non grata in that school, perhaps even in that local authority.
    You may in fact not get a written contract for some time - the law says they have to provide it no later than 8 weeks after you've started work.
    I'm sorry to be so depressing, sorry not to give you the answer that you wanted . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars