1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I send my child to a school that I teach at?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nawoods, Oct 11, 2015.

1. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

Hi all,
    My son is due to start school next year and I live and work in the same town. There a number of good primary schools including the one I teach at. I can't decide if I want to send him to the school where I teach or send him to a slightly closer school where I will just be known as his mum and not one of the school teachers! Any advice/comments please!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My daughter was at the same school as me all through primary and it was never a problem. She used to wait for me after school, playing in my classroom, and we could go home together. That wouldn't always be possible nowadays.

3. BiscuitBrown

BiscuitBrown Senior commenter

I taught at my son's school for a year. I didn't have to teach him. It was fine.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If there is a suitable alternative I would send my children to it.

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My son was at my school for a while. It was fine as he was in FS/KS1 and I taught KS2, so we rarely crossed paths. It did take away a lot of the hassle of working out the school run around my working hours (I was a single parent at the time) but it did mean the poor little mite was at school from very early to quite late sometimes - not that he seemed to mind and the school let me put him in the breakfast/after school clubs for free.
    This possibly won't affect you, but it did cause complications for me when I wanted to move on because the school that we were attached to was quite a way away. When I got a job somewhere closer, it caused issues with the school run because even with breakfast club, I couldn't get from the old school back to my new school in time (I would have been walking in with the kids on a good traffic day!). So I had to transfer him as well when I changed jobs, which was a major pain in the buttocks.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

On principal chose not to work in any school my children where in even when i had the opportunity. I have seen to many children spoilt because Mum keeps popping in to see if they are ok..or you need to moderate what you say in the staff-room in case you give the wrong impression.
    Yet i have seem many schools where parents have worked as teachers or TA's in the same school as offspring and it seems to work ok.they come and go with the parents.I wouldn't be sure about care arrangements though.

Ambivalence likes this.
  7. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I taught my daughter in Nursey and for the most part it was fine. I just found it lovely to be able to chat with her and know what she was talking about, in detail! She called me mummy until the children arrived and then I was Mrs .... She never slipped up. Was amused that she still thought that teachers slept in the stock cupboard.....

Only thing I would say is that having friends in the immediate area to go and play with would have been nice for her.

It works as long as you can distance yourself and other staff can too.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I agree with the above in that it should not be a problem for you, but it can be tiring for your colleagues - if you let it be. By that I mean endless 'can I just....' requests that turn into parent meetings without notice or appointment, or (understandable but annoying) requests for clarification when your child is cautioned.

Not in any way saying you are like this or not more tactful, just the experience I have had in the main with teacher kids at school.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I did supply at my children's primary school, but only briefly. I made s mistske when my daughter was in Year 10, by working at her school. I was in the SEN dept and one of the girls in her form spent quite a lot of time with us and made the daughter's life difficult. She also had a massive falling out with a friend during that year and I was regularly accosted by the form tutor, along the lines of 'What's going on with foxcub and her friend. I'm concerned about them.' As if a fourteen year old is going to tell her mother!

I think in primary it's probably fine though!

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Where are the majority of your child's existing friends going? I wouldn't separate my children from their friends just because I worked in the school. Both of my kids went to the high school where I taught, although I do appreciate that primary is smaller scale and more close-knit.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

12. Ambivalence

Ambivalence New commenter

It depends on the parent and child. I found it massively beneficial in terms of childcare. Couldn't have dreamed of a more successful experience for my child as well. In secondary, the new friendships formed often sideline older ones anyway. Again, it depends on the child. Colleagues have chosen not to teach at the same secondary and obviously that has worked out well also.