1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I Return to Teaching?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by midnightstarlight, Apr 25, 2019.

1. midnightstarlight

midnightstarlight New commenter

Hello everyone,

So I quit teaching at the end of the last academic year (I was full time for two years and then did long term supply for 2 years). I went into a completely different career however I don't enjoy my job as much and I find myself really missing teaching.

I've kept trying to talk myself out of it. I remember the horrendous hours/never ending work, the ridiculous paperwork, but I also truly miss the idea that I was making a difference in children's lives. I miss being a teacher, as it was something I've always wanted to do from when I was a child. I still feel like I'm a Teacher, it's just part of me. My SO often says that I "loved teaching but hated being a teacher" if that makes sense.

Recently I've been thinking about moving into the private sector for smaller class sizes and more job autonomy (this is what I've read based on extensive research). But I would love to hear from teachers still in the profession. Have things eased up at all? Is it the same? And what is private really like? What made me quit was the micromanagement and how they kept piling on pointless extra work to box tick. I don't know if it has changed or if private schools are much different.

Any advice would be massively helpful! Please don't sugar coat.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When reading your first couple of paragraphs this is what I was going to suggest to you.
    Independent schools aren't perfect, especially those at the lower end of the market, but they are much easier.

You don't say if you are primary or secondary...but prep schools can be a good middle ground. All the fun of subject teaching, but no teenagers or public exams. (There is CE, but it isn't like GCSEs and league tables.)

agathamorse likes this.
  3. midnightstarlight

midnightstarlight New commenter

Apologies for not stating before, but yes I'm primary based! Could you please tell me what about independent schools makes it easier, in your opinion?

I've not considered prep as I assumed you'd need a degree equivalent to teach the subject. I'm extremely passionate about English, as I'm a writer and studied English literature up to A-Level, but I didn't think I'd be able to teach it because my degree is in Psychology (I did a PGCE afterwards).

Thank you for your reply! :)

4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Primary teacher from a state school here. The nonsense in state schools continues unabated. Despite this, I'm still happy in one at the moment. I suspect, like @caterpillartobutterfly, that an independent school might be right for you.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

This is a first. Someone trying to get back IN!

If you want to, do it. You know the job, so there won't be any surprises.

If you can find a nice school, then I'd suggest you give it a go.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

Prep schools generally go up to year 6 or year 8. Depending on the school how much it is like a primary and how much like a secondary. You could certainly be an 'English Teacher' or 'Head of English' in a prep. Some are run like primaries until year 3 or 4 and then more like secondaries higher up.

It's easier because:
    There is more freedom with the curriculum. Most teach with regard to the NC, but aren't bound by it.
    There is freedom with how to teach...most don't have prescribed teaching methods.
    Inspections are a whole different ball game. ISI start from the premise that the school is fab, unless they find evidence to the contrary. Ofsted are more inclined to think a school is naff, unless the school can demonstrate otherwise.
    Classes are smaller, often half the size of state.
    Parents generally care about education and so are supportive with homework and the like.
    Behaviour is generally better, but kids are kids however much money their parents have.
    Holidays are longer.

It's harder because:
    Days are often longer
    Parents evening and reports more frequent
    Parents can be more demanding
    A lot is expected in terms of extra-curriculum and open days, concerts, etc.

Wouldn't move back to state though...not for all the world!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly