1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I return to my training school or stay put?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by a5453771, Feb 10, 2012.

1. I undertook an English GTP last year at the same school I attended as a pupil myself (albeit 7 years later) and loved it. The guidance and inspiration I experienced was superb; this is a place with a special atmosphere, clear direction and leadership. Sadly, there were no jobs available at the time so I applied elsewhere and I am undertaking my NQT year (permanent, full time) at a school in a more affluent part of the city. Although I found the first term tough, I am coping much better and even starting to enjoy myself!
    I maintained links with my colleagues at the first school and have been alerted to a vacancy (P, F/T), beginning in September. My dilemma is this: do I apply for the job at the first school, or stay put?
    I would be leaving behind a 'new build' for less high-tech facilities (and would no longer have my own classroom), the comfort of working with predominantly able/compliant children, a more rigid behaviour/sanctions policy...
    My heart leapt when I heard the news about the job. Since there is obviously no guarantee I would be successful, is it worth applying and running the risk of the awkwardness it might cause in my current school?
    I really haven't a clue what to do and I would love to know people's honest views on the situation: what advice would you give me at this early stage in my career?
    Sincere thanks in advance,
    a5453771