1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I resign to help out my school?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by A4jen, May 1, 2017.

1. A4jen

A4jen New commenter

I would really appreciate some thoughtful advice.
    I am a Year 5/6 teacher in a really lovely school. I am in the process of applying/ being interviewed for my first headship. I very narrowly missed my first application- the feedback from the experience was that I was very likely to be appointed in the near future and I was invited to apply to another school in the MAT. I have two more interviews in the pipeline and feel reasonably sure that I will be given a headship this term. My issue is in the dates of the next two interviews. They are both quite close to the end of the half term and I am really concerned that this will hinder my current school's search for a replacement. I know this should not be my worry but I have a great deal of loyalty to the school, the children and the parents. I am considering handing in my notice so that my head can advertise. She does not want to lose me so would be happy to set the interview date after my 2nd interview. I can then apply for my own job so that if I am not appointed in the headship role, I can be interviewed for my current one.
    Does this sound a way around it? Has anyone done anything similar? Legally, can this be done?
    Many thanks.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Sounds very risky for you! :eek: I wouldn't advise. You could very easily be left without any job at all.

Schools can cope - even with late resignations close to or on May 31st - they do it all the time.

Don't fret on your school's behalf.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

No, don't do anything to "help out your school" - it is an institution, an employer, it doesn't need any "helping out" it just carries on doing what it does in what ever circumstances it finds itself in. You don't owe it anything, you have had a fair contract, you worked, it paid you ( and I'm willing to bet they got the better of the deal)

Do what is right for you.

Mr-Chem, Dragonlady30, bonxie and 8 others like this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

As a HT I would say stay where you are. As Marlin says what happens if you don't get one of the jobs. There's no guarantee that you will. Also why would you want to apply for your own job?

Are you going straight from a Y5/Y6 teacher to Headteacher bypassing the role of Deputy Headteacher?

ldnsenco, bonxie, Pomz and 8 others like this.
  5. A4jen

A4jen New commenter

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I wouldn't do it. Your school will be fine - they will find someone. If they are desperately short of experienced staff, and anxious not to have to appoint an NQT, I don't think there's anything to stop the head advertising without your resignation and then only holding the interviews if you do get one of the posts - it might annoy the poor people who apply, but no more than turning up to an interview to find there's an internal candidate who is 99% likely to be appointed (and 1% likely to be around as a disgruntled supply teacher who has lost a gamble).

bonxie, phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. tosh740

tosh740 New commenter

Agree with a previous poster - sounds risky. Also how would you feel if you had applied to the school for an interview, having turned down two or three others, only to find the present incumbent was being interviewed for a job they already had? The cost of advertising would also be a waste. May 31st is plenty of time for schools to plan for September.

8. install

install Star commenter

It would be a terrible thing to do - don't ever make yourself a martyr.

bonxie, les25paul, phlogiston and 3 others like this.
  9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

4 posts in 5 years and a familiar narrative style...

Prospective HT? GIve over...

#GLdoesn'tsufferfoolsgladly

ldnsenco, Jesmond12 and Anonymity like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No. No. No.

Nobody does this. For good reason. It could be professional suicide. It's always a testing time with people coming and going and trying to tie up loose ends but that's the way it has been since time immemorial.

Lovely school? Well, they'll get some lovely candidates then!

You are not indispensable. You can be replaced and will be replaced when you have secured your next post.

I hope that, when you become HT, you won't ever countenance a colleague resigning just to make life easier for you! I hope you'd advise them to follow normal protocol and resign after being successful at interview elsewhere.

11. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

No never do this ...no one should ever do this as grumpydogwoman said you can be replaced. Also don't trust any pre-arranged promises ... people change their minds / situations change and things can get really complicated.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You have actually had this conversation with your head and she has suggested you can reapply for your own post???????
    Really?????
    And she values you so much, she would make you go through the interview process to (hopefully) keep your job???
    She wouldn't just abandon the recruitment process if you weren't successful because you'd want to stay?

Given you want to leave, and if not successful this term very possibly would be for January, you would be highly unlikely to be appointed for your own role of year 5/6 teacher over someone who would be intending to stay all year.

If this is a real situation, then I recommend you do your utmost to be successful at interview and get out. A head who is even considering this for a member of staff isn't one to be trusted and respected.

bonxie, CarrieV, phlogiston and 3 others like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So your HT would invite candidates to interview but appoint YOU anyway? And those candidates would be turning up in all innocence thinking they were in with a chance of a job??? And that's OK, is it???

Your HT would just rig it for you?

And you think it would be fair to the other candidates? Just stringing them along?

Jesmond12, bonxie, knitone and 5 others like this.
  14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Don't resign. If this is genuine then the head will have to cope and find long term supply or something if you are successful. You may not get the job then you need the one you've already got and shouldn't just be given it back in an interview process.

bonxie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Can only echo what all other posters have said - do not consider resigning until you have a firm and definite job offer (that you are going to accept) from another school.

bonxie, thecagedbird and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Two statements in the OP's post ring alarm bells for me

1) Y5/Y6 class teacher applying for headship- you don't specify if you are a deputy? Crucial information missing in this post.

2) Head has said that she will re-employ me if I resign but don't get any offers? Am I really reading this?
    If you are a deputy, then it will be in the HT's best interests to get a new DHT appointed for September and leaving no time before the resignation deadline is going to cause more issues for itself, let alone if you decide to rescind your resignation.
    If you are just a standard class teacher, then again, I'd be looking to fill the position as soon as possible.

You really need to think what you're going to do before resigning.
    Question is though, why have you left it so late to apply for a headship?

Jesmond12, bonxie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Too many ways it can all go horribly wrong.
    Are you really considering applying for headships with the possibility of no current job at all?

bonxie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

No, no and more no.
    Don't even consider it.

bonxie, Lara mfl 05 and dunnocks like this.
  19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No!

cate_h, Jesmond12, gwhite1 and 9 others like this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sure you've made the point explicitly enough @Shedman ? ;)