1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I receive M3 in my third year of teaching?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Josie_1234, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Josie_1234

Josie_1234 New commenter

So far i have taught for 2 years and 2 terms. I am not teaching this term as I finished my fixed term contract at the end of Easter.

I have a job at a new school for September and my job offer says I will be getting M2. Should I be on M3 as I am nearly on my third year teaching?

I feel like I am completely lost with how it all works.

And will we be getting a rise in Sept due to inflation?

It also says in my contract that I will pick up responsibility for 2 foundation subjects at the end of my first year at this new school. Would that mean getting any TLR or additional money? Or is TLR for leading Maths or something?

If someone could help explain I would be very grateful as I'm feeling very ignorant of it all.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There is no pay portability. If you start a new contract you negotiate the pay point as part of accepting the post. You should review at which point pay was discussed or offered and whether you accepted the offer.
    Having responsibility for foundation subjects can be part of your role without additional TLR. If there was a TLR then this would be set out in a separate agreement. You aren’t entitled to keep a TLR in the same way you do a pay agreement.
    And yes, there is an annual rise though it is no longer in line with inflation and it can be 0% if they decide it.

strawbs likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

As @MrMedia says, the new school can offer you anything they like. However, if you can get your old school to tell the new one that your performance was good, it might be possible to move up as you hope. You can only ask and hope. Am I right in thinking that you have actually accepted the job offer?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Inflation increases in September will depend to a large extent on what the DfE announces as increases to the top and bottom of MPR for schools using STPCD. Nothing announced yet. In the last couple of years DfE didn't get the announcement out until the end of August, far too late for any schools to implement anything in September. This year? Anyone's guess when DfE will be able to announce September pay.

You're in Primary I think and unfortunately it's almost unknown for Primaries to give TLRs for Foundation subjects. En and Ma leads usually get one, but often not even them.

5. Josie_1234

Josie_1234 New commenter

Thank you for your replies.

I hadn't realised about pay portability.

Yes @Piranha , that is correct, I have accepted the job offer, on M2.

Thank you @Rott Weiler for explaining. That is what I had thought regarding TLRs from what I have overheard for more experienced teachers.

I was a bit confused as to what I was actually receiving at my old school, as I had received a document saying from Sept 2019 I would be on M2 but then when I checked the back of my last pay slip it says something about Q3 and 28,000.

I guess I am just stressing that I am behind on whatever pay scale I should be on at this stage in my career. And that perhaps I have been stupid in not having moved up the scale and negotiated better.

On the flip side to that I am just so relieved to have been appointed to a permanent contract as what seems to be lovely new school in the middle of a global pandemic! Without having had to teach at an interview.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Still no harm in asking about M3 once you are there. I believe that many schools start staff each September at whatever level they were on the previous year, and then move people are, backdated to September, based on PM reviews. If you could get the school you left in September to say that your performance would have justified a move up, then you never know.

Keep telling yourself that. A permanent job at a decent school is worth a lot. Congratulations.

Josie_1234 and Rott Weiler like this.