1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I quit the PGDE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Alex920, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Alex920

Alex920 New commenter

I am struggling with my PGCE/PGDE course. I thoroughly enjoy working with pupils and supporting them and teaching. However, I have failed two placement visits SE1A (two four week blocks of placements). Both visits, my tutor said I was failing to explain things clearly both visually and orally (which I have tried to improve on, but still a issue). I also, have problems planning a lesson effectively, instead I sometimes talk to much etc, comes across as boring.

Should I quit the course?. I am in danger of failing the course; with the next two placement based on SE1B placement. Any advice or suggestions?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes, you are in danger of failing the course but no, you shouldn't quit. Very few people actually fail and the whole point of having two sets of school experience is that you have the opportunity and support to improve.
    Rather than thinking about quitting, practice lesson planning. Think about what you want to get across and break your lesson down into chunks with timing so that you are limiting your own talk. Speak to your tutors and, if you still can, the teachers on your first placement to get some more help.

3. Rozario123

Rozario123 New commenter

Don't give up just yet. I failed my 1st year (2year part-time course) and just scraped through. I watched "Outstanding" teachers and copied some of what they did. However, I don't think that they were that brilliant - one confided that he always has an OFSTED lesson ready for inspection, but otherwise he did what he wanted and I don't think the students understood what he was doing- because they would ask me (an observer) for help. Tutors want the perfect lesson, which isn't always possible as a lot of teaching is down to confidence and experience - oh and good understanding and knowledge of the subject being taught.
    I would suggest peer teaching and asking lots of ICQ's to gage how they are getting on.

4. Elvis0

Elvis0 New commenter

Hi Alex,

What a relief to realise that other people have the same thoughts as me. Currently I am doing a SCITT, and as you said enjoy it as well. However, sometimes I have bad thoughts as well, that I talk too much, that I lack experience...And when I set students off to do group tasks, they are lazy and fooling around! Balance teacher-led demonstration with student-centered tasks they say (I know it is not easy, and needs a lot of planning but...)
    Stay strong Alex, teaching is a very difficult job and only a teacher can understand this. With experience we'll be better :)

5. 123lalala456

123lalala456 New commenter

You're not alone in wavering. I feel like even though things go well I am like a swan - calm on the surface and yet underneath paddling like crazy not to just drown under the madness of it all.

You're so close to completing this - I don't think they'll fail you as you have plenty of opportunity to pass. It's one of those situations where you get so far and can't quit. Some days I wish I never applied (for no apparent reason either, I just feel like I'll never be able to do it!) but then the very next day I'm optimistic again.

Ask for advice and show you're taking on board their feedback, your mentor should be able to offer ways to build on their feedback if you run out of ideas.