1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I quit PGCE now?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sweetnsuga, Mar 13, 2020.

1. sweetnsuga

sweetnsuga New commenter

I have gone for two jobs now one of them being my placement school. My lessons and interview all go really well they said in my interview today 'excellent answer' when I answered things and they were smiling a lot and engaged. Then I didn't get it and they said I couldn't have done any more I have been excellent everything was great but the other person had more to offer. They have given me really positive signs each time.

I've been told twice now that I'm an amazing teacher, my interview was great and I couldn't have done anymore and then I still don't end up getting it even when it's my placement school.

I'm going to have to go back in on Monday now and face everyone and I think I should just quit I don't want to go through interview processes again and feel really demoralised and upset.

2. dragonslayer33000

dragonslayer33000 New commenter

Don't be feel upset. It was meant to be. Be glad that they liked you. But there are so many schools out there that would take you. Dust yourself up and start applying. Remember your dream school is out there somewhere but you wont get it if you feel sorry for yourself all the time

agathamorse likes this.
  3. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Definitely not. Well done getting an interview, that's the achievement. It didn't work out but I think one thing im trying to be on this PGCE course is resilient!

Schools loss. You will get more interviews, you may get more rejections, but listen to that feedback, you are smashing it. Are you going to let one knockback ruin your career?

Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. janina_knight

janina_knight New commenter

I think you should hang in there as you've got this far.

5. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

First thing - never give up on a PGCE it looks great on your CV even if you decided not to go into teaching.
    Second thing - those students who struggle to get jobs do not get interviews
    Third thing - if you keep trying you will get a job but in any specific situation it depends upon who else applies as well as how good you are. It is not unusual for trainee teachers to attend at least half a dozen interviews before they get a job

6. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Sorry - two interviews, both with good feedback, and you're thinking of giving up? Give me strength!

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Very unrealistic, over my lifetime, I have got 10% of the jobs I have interviewed for

8. ParkerNorf80

ParkerNorf80 New commenter

No, definitely not! I also wont blow smoke up your ****.

Keep going, as above, come on, get a sense of perspective. Are you going to walk away from your QTS year when a parent complains, when a teacher asks you to cover a lesson?

Now is not the time to be thinking "quit" surely!

9. Littleme1984

Littleme1984 New commenter

Two interviews that went well and you want to quit because you did not get them!!,

Firstly do not quit and secondly, I think you need to toughen up. Ask them what else they were offering in comparison to you perhaps. Maybe its the way they sold themselves personally.

You are going to need a thick skin in this profession, dealing with difficult parents or even staff. Not always agreeing with management etc.

Stick it out and you will get there. over 13,000 Vacancies on average a year and you didnt get two of those!

you will get there.

10. janina_knight

janina_knight New commenter

I have recently received a formal job offer after four face-to-face interviews and one telephone interview. I had applied to many jobs as well. There will be more vacancies after Easter and, if you don't manage to secure a permanent job, there is always supply work. Don't give up! :)