1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I put her in her own room?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by anon766, Jan 26, 2011.

1. My 3 month old is generally good sleeper. She goes down on her own at about 7:30, has a dream feed at about 11 and then wakes once in the night for a feed. My problem is I am sure that she is beginning to be woken by the sound of us sleeping/turning over/OH snoring! She was sleeping from after 11 feed to about 4:30 to 5 but the last couple of nights she has starting snuffling and wriggling from about 2 am. I fed her last night just after 3 but I'm not sure she was that hungry. When she wakes in the night she generally goes back to sleep without crying but the problem is that she has then woken me up and I listen to her snuffling wondering if she needs feeding! Should I move her into her own room? I know it is a bit 'early' but am thinking everyone might sleep a bit better...

2. My 3 month old is generally good sleeper. She goes down on her own at about 7:30, has a dream feed at about 11 and then wakes once in the night for a feed. My problem is I am sure that she is beginning to be woken by the sound of us sleeping/turning over/OH snoring! She was sleeping from after 11 feed to about 4:30 to 5 but the last couple of nights she has starting snuffling and wriggling from about 2 am. I fed her last night just after 3 but I'm not sure she was that hungry. When she wakes in the night she generally goes back to sleep without crying but the problem is that she has then woken me up and I listen to her snuffling wondering if she needs feeding! Should I move her into her own room? I know it is a bit 'early' but am thinking everyone might sleep a bit better...

3. i put my boy in his cot in his own room at 14 weeks beecause he was too big for his crib and also kept waking me up with all his snuffling and wriggling! He's been happy enough in there. Having a good monitor helps put your mind at ease.

4. Yes. I am a total hippy and loved co sleeping but for other reasons (oh has seizures) we had to put her in own room at 5 weeks. Bestvthing we ever did!!

5. Hi, our LO is exactly the same. He woke up at 3am the other night and made raspberry noises for 10 mins, waking both me and OH up!! He has started to wake up when my OH gets up for work (at 6am!)- he has his alarm on vibrate under his pillow so as not to wake LO, but even with creeping out of bed, it still wakes LO up! The only reason he is still in our room (he is nearly 17 weeks) is that he is such hard work during the day but settles well in the evening/night at the moment, that we daren't move him into his own room in case it upsets this! If you think your LO will settle I say go for it!

6. blueone

blueone New commenter

This is exactly what our LO did and to a lesser extent still does now. He is 4 months old and for a few weeks, he too would wriggle, groan, rub his face etc.. sometimes from 2am until 4am when he woke for a bottle. It was a killer! He gradually started to do it later and later and would begin his groaning around 4am, and i'd wait (very annoyed!) for him to wake so i could feed him. Sometimes i was that P***ed off waiting for him to wake i'd get the bottle and pick him up and feed him before he woke up. A few times i did this and i thought he wasnt hungry and also it would totally mess up the first morning bottle if he had a bottle around 5am cos he wasnt hungry when we got up. Anyway, he has for the past week or so started sleeping through (touch wood) and making noise around 6am and waking around 7am, i can cope with that tho! I also think he is disturbed by us, and especially OHs snoring. For instance OH and I decided to swap sides so he could sleep by baby as i was going mad with the lack of sleep from LO's noises. My OH could sleep through a brass band playing at the bottom of the bed, so a few night shuffles wouldnt rouse him. Anyway, his snoring started and within a few mins the baby started to move. I had enough so woke him and told him to get back on his side and the baby settled when the noise stopped!
    So, this babbling hasnt answered your question, but at least from the replies here you know its common. And if you want put the baby in another room, do it, loads of people do it. Infact my LO is going in his room in a few weeks, and i would have put him in sooner but my OH didnt think he was old enough!
    PS. I have also resorted to wearing ear plugs!!I think they reall work, i dont hear most noises until baby is crying and OHs snoring is a lot quieter!!!

7. Mine too! That's the thing he never wakes up unless she is actually full on crying which, bless her, she very rarely does. Your reply is really helpful blueone just because it is so familiar. Thanks everyone I think I will start planning the move in the next couple of weeks! :)

8. handrail

handrail New commenter

I have a few friends who have put babies into their own room from one month onwards and it seems to work for them, most seem to sleep through. I'm not so lucky. LO is just over 4 months and is in his cot in our room. He was sleeping well - 7pm -3am and then again till 7/8am. This week he's been waking ALOT and I'm sure we are disturbing him by turning over in bed etc. He does the same: hands thumping on cot, rubbing face, groaning etc and I wake up thinking he wants feeding but he doesn't. He's been a complete nightmare this week - so much so he's spent much of the last 3 nights in our bed so we could get some sleep. I say 'we' but actually OH sleeps through it and half the time doesn't know what a mess about I have during the night (grrrr). LO has had a cold though so I'm hoping his sleep returns to how it was. I have loads of trouble getting him back in his cot after his night feed, as even though it sends him to sleep - he wakes as i put him down and he can rarely settle him self. He had learnt to suck his thumb but doesn't seem to be doing it now - im gutted. We use a dummy but he has started to pull it out and use it like a rattle (babies are funny little things)
    Despite all this I am keeping him in our room until 6 months just because I'm a scaredy cat and follow the guidelines :) I'm sure putting him in his own room would be better for all of us.

9. handrail

handrail New commenter

I also should have said men are funny things - isn't it strange how they sleep through everything?!

10. blueone

blueone New commenter

Ha ha, my OH is the same. LO disturbed a little about 5am this morn. I was awake for about half an hour listening to him and praying he would settle back again. He did and we all woke up at 715am when OHs alarm went off. Then OH said 'he did well didnt he, sleeping right through' to which i replied 'well actually he disturbed around 5am and i was awake for a bit'. My OH looked a bit puzzled and said 'did he?' and that was it!!! The thing is, he didnt hear him and slept through it all (as usual!)

11. My LO is only 4 weeks but is quite unsettled in the early morning and I never know whether to jump in with a feed - the HV recommended trying a dummy, saying that if she's hungry she'll let you know but if she's just guzzling and fretting, that may quiet her.
    Also, I know a lot of us do try and protect OHs from being woken up at night as they have to work, but it would be nice if they realised how much we are awake/feeding/soothing, i agree... We women are such martyrs *sigh* [​IMG]