1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I push on the more able this early on in the year?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cactusstorm, Sep 11, 2016.

1. cactusstorm

cactusstorm New commenter

This will sound really stupid and obvious but...

I have a few children who are already capable of moving on to extension-style work and are being held back by the rest of the class, I feel that I should be pushing them onto something more challenging when they have finished the set work. The issue is that my co-teacher doesn't feel that I should do so for the moment and he hasn't planned anything with respect to extensions. would it be right of me, as an NQT especially, to challenge the idea or should I stay put for the moment?

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

IMO all children should be 'pushed on' but this is not about moving on to new objectives, but about consolidating and deepening understanding within their age-appropriate objectives.

Kartoshka, Lara mfl 05 and minnie me like this.
  3. cactusstorm

cactusstorm New commenter

That is my plan, so a few missing number problem when we are doing addition tomorrow.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do they always need to do the set work? Is it suitable for them?
    Could they start on something more challenging?

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

This is exactly what the new curriculum and assessment expects. Working in greater depth within the year group objectives.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

It depends on the activities as how they are getting on. As a Maths subject lead, when I do book scrutinies I would certainly be looking to check children aren't constantly getting everything right and making sure children aren't starting at lower points than they should.

As has already been mentioned it's certainly about extending/ deepening their understanding within their objectives rather than looking up. There are plenty of resources available for this level of 'mastery' - for Maths I would definitely recommend NCETM Mastery documents as well as White Rose Maths Hub planning documents.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

My experience as a parent of a highly-able mathematician is that the first half-term of the year is usually when she is most bored, and that when we say something at the parent consultation just after half-term, we're told "we've been doing consolidation work". That seems to me to be the time when you most need to have some challenges ready for those who don't need to consolidate.