1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I persevere with A level teaching?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by deleted944, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm half way through my NQT year and absolutely loving it. I really enjoy the creative aspects to teaching the lower school and my GCSE classes. I'm also teaching A Level which to a certain extent I enjoy, but I find the marking load pretty tough, and the lessons are a lot more stressful and pushed for time, so there isn't much time for creative teaching. I'm not sure whether this is just because it's new to me - I'm teaching it for the first time; or if my skills in creativity mean that I'm better suited to teaching the lower school.
    It's weird because when I started teaching I thought I'd enjoy the sixth form stuff more but actually I completely love teaching the lower school classes with a real passion.
    I've seen a job advertised for a head of lower school science and I thought "brilliant"! I'd love to do that! My school are just about to appoint a new science teacher and want them to only teach lower school (they haven't advertised yet). I'm not sure whether I should say "I want to be that teacher! find another A level person and I'll do that job!" or whether to persevere with it and it'll get more enjoyable.
    Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers!

2. girlychemist

girlychemist New commenter

It's horses for courses! I always thought I'd enjoy 11 - 16, which I do BUT I just seem to have that knack with 16+. Follow your gut instinct. If you're enjoying what you're doing it transmits to the pupils. If you're having to 'persevere' they'll know it.

Good Luck!!