1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by escapeintoabook, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT - i've been qualified since last July and completed 1 term of induction last term on a temporary contract, now i'm doing supply but I've not had much work really. I'm applying for permanent posts at the moment (well, not that there are many around as yet), but i've also come across a non-teaching job that looks quite interesting. It's still within education, it actually pays a bit more than what NQTs start on and I meet enough of the person spec to have a go at applying.
    But obviously, my first choice is to teach. So if I did just happen to get this other job, but I still really wanted to persue teaching instead, would I have scuppered my chances of getting a teaching position by looking as if I wasn't 'committed enough' to teaching / or not having recent actual teaching experience?
    I'm almost a bit scared of pinning all my hopes on teaching to be honest after some of the unpleasant and stressful experiences I've read about on here (although I do realise that people having great teaching experiences probably don't feel the need to post about it on here) so that's another reason I wonder if I should have a go at applying for this other job...and who knows, I could enjoy it. But then I want to do what I spent all that time studying and training for really.
    This is all hypothetical of course as there's no guarantee whatsoever I would get this other job anyway, but I can't help but think things through in minute detail unfortunately. Well done and thank you if you managed to get to the end of my rambling, 'trying to think it through' post. [​IMG]

2. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

I say apply. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Also the job market is dodgy for everyone in the UK at the mo! You've done a term of NQT, so you've got quite some time to complete - there's no rush. We have been advised at uni that the 5 year limit has been scrapped, as long as you have begun your NQT process within 4 terms of passing PGCE+QTS.