1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I name and shame a bully?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BasildonBond, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I left a school in 2010 after being targeted by a bully with previous form (and subsequent form too - my successor walked out too not long after starting). I didn't sign a CA when I left. I'm now permanently employed at an excellent school with a very supportive head teacher.

I had an exit interview with the LEA HR a few months after I left, at which I made it very clear how unhappy I was about the behaviour of the bully. I also made it clear that I believed that the bully would target others in future (which first happened soon afterwards when my successor was targeted). Incidentally, I foolishly assumed that HR represented the LEA and would act to deal with badly behaved staff in schools, although I now am lead to believe that HR, in effect, work for schools, so no surprise that they haven't done a great deal to prevent further bullying by the person who targeted me.

I also wrote to the Chair of Governors after I had left detailing my experience and asking for an apology; I was sent a non-response in which the CoG said that as I had left the school, nothing would be followed up, even though all the key staff were still in post.

Having read various posts here (aren't the breaks from the children great to catch up things which have been bugging you?), I now wonder whether I should do something to put my complaints and concerns into the public domain. it concerns me that anyone researching the school - where the bully is still in post - will find nothing to indicate that I, my predecessor, my successor, one further teacher and a teaching assistant have all had time off school due to bully-induced stress injuries, and that four of us have left to work elsewhere, all in a short six year campaign of intimidation by the bully in question.

So, should I name and shame the person who tried to bully me? And if so, where and how? And if not, is there anything I can do to help those who are being (or who are yet to be) badly treated by this bully?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

HR bill the schools for the work and those who pay the piper call the tune.
    That is a response that would need 10 promotions to be considered pathetic. Just imagine if you'd been the one at fault; the matter would not have been closed as you left. The CoG is obviously the head's puppet.
    You are in a good school with a supportive head - and that's all that matters now.

3. You have been well advised not to name and shame on these boards - but others have done precisely that and lived to tell the tale. However, I am collecting evidence of bullying that can be put into the public domain - which means ensuring evidential standards that would stand up in a judicial setting I would be delighted to consider any specific instances for inclusion - please PM me for details. There are many reasons why workplace bullying has proliferated - one is denial on the part of those who should know better (including LAs) and another is an unwillingness to go on the record. I think it's time to take some action, and I invite contributions from those who would like to join forces!

4. Thanks for all the useful comments and advice from various posters here.

What this has made me consider is whether there is space for people to record facts which may point towards a culture of bullying at a particular school. For example, a space where it was possible to record the staff turnover or to note the number of cases of staff talking long-term absence, which may point towards a negative culture at a school. This wouldn't be naming and shaming as such but may help others to avoid schools where dubious practices are more likely to be an issue. What do you think?

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

One would imagine that unions would be involving themselves in this kind of record-keeping in order to strengthen their support of individual members. They may be, anecdotally, but there does not seem to be any synthesis and pro-active application of such information to put pressure on employers.