1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I move back to Scotland? Are there jobs?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by zeek, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I am in my 4th year of teaching, and moved to London after my probation year as there were just no jobs in Scotland, and those that were advertised had 100+ applications.
    Now I've got more experience I was thinking about looking into jobs in Scotland, but am not sure where to start looking.
    I thought I'd ask on here what the job situation is like in your local authority?
    Ideally I'd be looking to move to somewhere close to Glasgow or Edinburgh but bordering authorities would be fine; after living in London I can probably handle a commute!
    I'm happy in my current job, but from my experience there is less paperwork and more freedom in Scotland, so would be happy to go back sooner rather than later!
    But, from what I have heard, permanent jobs are few and far between. Would I have to start on as a supply or in temporary positions?
    Any advice would be great.

2. As you've probably seen from these boards supply's quite poor at the moment. In Aberdeen there are jobs advertised but the job situation sounds like it was the same when you left (100s of applicants) however you'll have gained an advantage over some of us.

3. InformedConsent

InformedConsent New commenter

I am teaching at private school in England and I am told to mark with a red pen instead of a black pen. I was marking according to Scottish training and my pupils' poems have been selected for publication in a UK wide competition. I am told ofsted would not accept marking with black pen in Scottish way as other teachers are marking with red pen.
    Can you tell me what colour you were allowed to mark with? Is there any room for marking with a black pen in English schools.

4. Thanks Jennett. From what I can see I won't be going back any time soon!
    I recommend coming down to London if you are struggling to find work - plenty jobs here!