1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Should I move abroad this year?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by travelleratheart435, Apr 30, 2020.

  1. travelleratheart435

    travelleratheart435 New commenter

    I am currently finishing off my NQT year and want to move to Dubai or Doha to teach in September. Due to the corona virus situation, do you think it's best that I stay in the UK this year and apply next year instead?
    I don't have a permanent contract in the UK.
    Thanks
     
  2. bedby9

    bedby9 New commenter

    Nothing to lose if you don't have a permanent contract. Maybe apply for both there and the UK? Cover yourself?
     
    rouxx, PuRe and Luvsskiing like this.
  3. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    Fully agree with above if no contract.

    Also consider other locations. There may be schools looking for teachers in places you've never thought of going to and could be wonderful.
     
    TusitalaH likes this.
  4. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    If you're in any doubt, it's usually best to get your QTS + 2 years. Plus we don't know which way this pandemic will go in the autumn and if there is a second wave I'd rather be in the UK than the middle east.
     
    stopwatch and 576 like this.
  5. 576

    576 Established commenter

    At the moment if you got a job where I am...
    1. The government isn't issuing work permits.
    2. Foreigners are not allowed to enter the country (including those with existing work permits).
    3. Anyone who is allowed in has to pay £500 for a virus test and spend 14 days in a hotel room, in quarantine at their own expense.

    I don't think it's a good time to be planning on moving countries.
     
    BlueHues and yasf like this.
  6. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    I meant, if you had no contract, then being prepared to go at short notice might be an idea.

    However, as in post 2, cover your bases by applying in UK as well. I would add a codicil to that. If offered a post in the UK then take it without hesitation, as exactly as you said a move abroad may well be offered, but not happen due to gov. restrictions.
     
  7. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    When Mrs. Hippo's overweight husband got a job in Kenya, everyone said, "You can't go to Nairobbery. You will be kidnapped or murdered as soon as you get off the plane." Well, that was nearly twenty years ago and (surprise, surprise) we are still here.

    When we arrived in China, we were told that we had the "wrong" visas and we had to leave. (Do not pass "Go" and do not collect two hundred pounds.) We were not allowed to return to Shenzhen for another nine weeks. The Chinese visa shenanigans left us with a very big hole in the pocket.

    Just after I left Egypt, one of my colleagues was murdered and the same thing happened in Qatar.

    Therefore I think that there will always be lots of good reasons why you should never teach overseas. Let us all hope that those irresponsible and reckless TES Moderators close down this "Teaching Overseas" forum as soon as possible. In fact, they should have done so already.
     
    motorhomer likes this.
  8. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    @the hippo yes, there are always risks moving overseas and if you don’t take those risks then amazing opportunities might pass you by.

    Everyone needs to work out for themselves what level of risk they’re prepared to take on board.

    However, in this current situation, to put all your eggs in one basket and assume a job overseas will materialize is rather foolish. Unless, of course you have no real need of a job and a private income or such like.

    Just my personal opinion spouted from someone who is not expecting to be travelling outside current country of residence before Christmas....and is almost out of tea bags.
     
  9. ACOYEAR8

    ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

    Also consider, cynically, where the best efforts have been made to control the pandemic and what medical facilities and support you could receive if you fall ill. That said, I'm packing my bags for South Korea or Singapore.
     
  10. Luvsskiing

    Luvsskiing Established commenter

    "I'm packing my bags for South Korea or Singapore."

    LOL

    Both would be outstanding choices; interesting, relatively safe, great mountains in SK and top skiing, both great springboards to see surrounding countries, top seafood and friendly, and good money-saving potential. Taiwan would also be a good choice IMO.
     
  11. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Yep - and I've also taught all around the world and also had to field similar comments from family and friends. However this is different, and waiting one more year to go overseas is probably the sensible thing to do.
     
    rouxx likes this.
  12. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Im wondering where @travelleratheart435 thinks they are going to get a job now since they are so far out of the recruitment season. Add in the fact they they are an NQT with limited experience. The level of school that would be willing to take them is going to be the ones massively hit by the current crisis, plus they want to work in a part of the world that has plenty of people wanting to work. The odds are not with them are they ?

    Best of luck, but i suggest you stay at home.
     
    yasf likes this.
  13. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, yasf. Yes, of course there will always be risks if you decide that you want to teach overseas. Dear old Harry Deelman used to talk about "the CNN factor". Sometimes dangers seem bigger than they really are, thanks to all the news coverage.
     
  14. Ne11y

    Ne11y Occasional commenter

    As someone else said, seeing as you don't have a contract, to a point you have nothing to lose trying.

    However, do your research. Where I am right now (not the Middle East), for example, things are very much up in the air.

    Schools are advertising (although yes, it's late in the season, so not many adverts up) but right now, you can't fly in, nor can you get the appropriate paperwork done. Officially, this will end in two weeks, but the government keep extending the restrictions and as numbers of cases continue to grow, I don't think restrictions are ending any time soon.

    My school is, as far as I know, planning for no new staff by August and being creative with how they fill any gaps.

    So if someone asked me about this country, I would tell them to not count on it. You cannot guarantee that by August, you'll be able to get your papers together, let alone a flight.
     
    BlueHues likes this.
  15. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    I don't agree that you have 'nothing' to lose. Second waves of the virus are just around the corner which could cause a lot of problems for a lot of countries who had smaller first waves and so look more attractive to a potential employee.

    I wouldn't be going anywhere until this is all over - which may not be by September next year
     
    Ne11y, ACOYEAR8 and yasf like this.
  16. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Yes, and will likely be as useful as a chocolate teapot if the OP should need to get back home if things do go badly. The British embassy / consulate is highly unlikely to ride to the rescue either.
     
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  17. Ne11y

    Ne11y Occasional commenter

    Agreed. Just trying to support the OP as they seem to like the idea and making sure they are being realistic.

    Personally, I would stay put, wherever I was, for at least a year, and not plan to move on for possibly 2. But it's not my decision to make. If they want to try and make the jump, they need to be prepared.
     
  18. Singland

    Singland New commenter

    I am all set to move overseas in August. Still hoping it goes ahead. Maybe I'm mad, but I've waited for so long for the right time, I don't want to give up now. If I was younger, I'd wait another year or two. (I know you can be NQT at any age, not assuming)
     
  19. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    I'm glad we're staying put in Taiwan for another year. We had planned to leave and then circumstances changed (before the virus) so we agreed to stay. I am so thankful that it worked out that way. We're in one of the safest places with fantastic medical care. Couldn't have planned it better if we knew what was going to happen. We'll play it by ear and see what the state of the world is on December. If not much has changed then we will likely stay where we are.
     
    rouxx likes this.
  20. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    We have another two years in place, and had planned to leave after that but are thinking now we might give it another year before going. The big effect is going to be on the job market next year (2021/22) I think, and I tend to think it might even go into 22/23, so sitting tight where I have a job might not be a bad thing. On the other hand - I'm not a big fan of the city and it's getting more difficult for foreigners there, so there's that side too.
     

Share This Page