1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I leave?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by misstwit, Apr 23, 2018.

1. misstwit

misstwit New commenter

My school has recently become an academy. We were all expecting this as most staff knew the school needed to change. I was fully supportive of the academy and talked other staff round to the idea. My positivity was rewarded with more responsibility. All looked good.

Then the year began. I've got a sats year and the worst behaviour I have ever dealt with which would have been stressful on its own. My first observation my lesson was graded inadequate and I was put on an action plan. I came off it after 2 weeks and further observations but the year has continued the same way. The academy find everything I do inadequate. I then have to jump through further hoops and come out as good the other side.

We have weekly book looks, half termly full book scrutinise, 'optional' staff development meetings on top of staff meetings, constant learning walks, constant open lessons for parents. You get the idea. I am so stressed it is affecting my whole life. Today i gathered together all my formal feedback from the year and it was so negative I Just cried. I can't sleep, have lost weight and feel so miserable all the time. No one says anything positive to me and I work so hard.

In normal circumstances I would apply elsewhere and hope for a more supportive head but I am currently going through investigations and treatment for recurrent miscarriages and there's a chance i will be pregnant soon. I don't want to arrive somewhere pregnant, although I know im well within my rights to.

Part of me feels that under the circumstances the best thing to do would be to take some time out and just concentrate on the fertitily treatment with no stress which I could afford to do. I feel so negative about teaching that I'm not sure if I have another child it's what I want to do but then another part of me knows I couldn't have it much harder than I do right now and I don't feel like I'm really in the state of mind to be making life changing decisions.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. FeatherCat

FeatherCat New commenter

Mentally and logically prepare to leave. For your future child, for you and for your sanity. That matters entirely more. And you can always consider another place when you are recovering from this. Not your fault, and a sensible idea.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

agree with @FeatherCat, your health (and the future twit) are much more important than Awful Academy

You've got to know when to walk away
    Know when to run
    Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

What about your other half? Can he support both of you (financially, physically and mentally). If so it's time for him to step up to the sand, draw a line in the plate....etc and assist you fully. This will require a full and frank discussion about your future.

You also need to decide if you've been sickened off teaching or just the school.

All the best.

4. misstwit

misstwit New commenter

Thank you both.

It's hard to have perspective when you're still trying to do the job.

I guess I feel that it's risky in case we aren't able to have a second child and my life becomes focused on that but actually I think I would feel the same way whether I wanted a baby or not. If the job's making me unwell it must be time to go.

5. misstwit

misstwit New commenter

Well ... I only went and did it. Notice handed in!

What decided it was a trip round the school searching for glue sticks last week. In the space of 20 minutes I came across 3 colleagues in separate areas of the school crying privately for different Awful Academy related reasons. That's almost a third of the teaching staff at the small school.

When I told the HT I was going she was genuinely surprised by my decision. The irony of the situation was I told her my intentions while she cut out letters for a 'staff well being' display.

InkyP and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Glad to hear that you've bitten the bullet. Well done and all the best.