1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should i leave teaching?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by allieb21, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Just looking for some advice here. I have been teaching for 4 and a half years now and im exhausted. I am honestly considering leaving teaching completely.
    I have started to feel completely exhausted, working 6 day weeks and quite often late. I feel i have no life outside the school and i am beginning to think that it's the best time to leave as i have no mortgage or kids at present.
    I have been in the same school for this whole time and i kept doing the...just one more year...i'll get this group through then i'll leave..conversation in my head.
    I am fed up completely and recently i have felt extremley undermined by a member of staff who is new to teaching and criticises all that is in place in one of my main subjects. And most of it was put in place by me and my last colleague. Alot happened last week and i was very upset/ill due to it. I don't feel this is anyway to live. I want to be happy, have my evenings and weekends to myself.
    I love teaching but i feel this job has become about the government changes and stuff that i don't care less about. Should i think about the future and what i want? Wouldn't a lower paid job that makes me happy be better or am i being stupid? I wouldn't leave till end summer term as i have loyalty to my kids i teach.
    I have already spoke to a friend who was a lecturer for 7 years and quit and now works in the private sector and is so much happier.
    Advice please?

2. Hi all,
    Just looking for some advice here. I have been teaching for 4 and a half years now and im exhausted. I am honestly considering leaving teaching completely.
    I have started to feel completely exhausted, working 6 day weeks and quite often late. I feel i have no life outside the school and i am beginning to think that it's the best time to leave as i have no mortgage or kids at present.
    I have been in the same school for this whole time and i kept doing the...just one more year...i'll get this group through then i'll leave..conversation in my head.
    I am fed up completely and recently i have felt extremley undermined by a member of staff who is new to teaching and criticises all that is in place in one of my main subjects. And most of it was put in place by me and my last colleague. Alot happened last week and i was very upset/ill due to it. I don't feel this is anyway to live. I want to be happy, have my evenings and weekends to myself.
    I love teaching but i feel this job has become about the government changes and stuff that i don't care less about. Should i think about the future and what i want? Wouldn't a lower paid job that makes me happy be better or am i being stupid? I wouldn't leave till end summer term as i have loyalty to my kids i teach.
    I have already spoke to a friend who was a lecturer for 7 years and quit and now works in the private sector and is so much happier.
    Advice please?

3. I've worked in teaching, gone away to restaurants & retail, back to teaching and now considering getting out again due to ill health.
    if you are miserable then maybe it's not for you.
    after 4 years you have probably reached the momentum that the rest of your career will follow, but not become so financially dependant that you cant take the risk to walk away........
    have a look at whats out there, and have a plan in place before you do jump.

4. Thank you for replying.
    I know people will say 'try another school' but work load will never get any easier in my opinion and honestly i work weekends and holidays so i am starting to think if this is affecting my happiness and lately even my health then i should get out.
    Are you unwell due to the job may i ask as i feel that the job will lead me to being stressed and sick.

5. Hi,
    I feel completely the same. I have been teaching for the same amount of time and I am totally physically and mentally exhausted. No matter what I do, or how hard I work, the 'to do' list never seems to get any shorter. We also have all the pressure from OFSTED at the moment, with a mock one going on at the moment, resulting in more work and more pressure. Worked most of Sunday preparing a lesson only to be told today that it was Satisfactory. I am totally deluded by the whole process and education in general. I do not want to stay in it and people are saying that it may just be the school I am. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. I feel like I would work for peanuts if at least I was happy.

6. Thats exactly how i feel. I want to have kids etc in the future and i am wondering how can i ever with all this work.
    I feel since i don't have a mortgage etc this is the right time to do it. My partner is working but on rubbish money so i am the higher earner but he is looking for something else (not a teacher) and says he just wants me to be happy.
    I knoe times are hard and all and i am worry about leaving a "good" job and not finding something. I do keep eye on teaching jobs but i honestly think my problems will probably follow me. Other teachers think im mad for considering it but i feel it may be because they have responsibilites etc.
    This job is no longer about teaching and if i am getting this stressed and upset i am wondering is it telling me something....

7. You are correct in saying that the workload is not going to improve if you move schools. I can't see any relenting of workload in the near future, in fact I think it will get worse. The thing about workload is that if you are enjoying what you are doing you don't mind it so much. But if you have other problems such a difficult colleagues, a crappy class, a fascist HT (I could go on), then the workload in itself becomes more of a burden. Only you can know if it is too much for you but those aspects of the job could be better if you move.
    However, I would say that if you are feeling the loss of your evenings and weekend after four years then better to leave now. Teaching takes over your life, like it or not. How would you feel if you work another five years and then start to regret all the hours and days that you devoted to the job? It hit me after a lot longer than that, when I realised I was turning down social invitations because I had work to do and that I was becoming a one-dimensional person. You stay because you feel loyalty to the children or the school. Sadly the truth is that they feel no such loyalty to you.
    Only you know how the balance between the good in the job and the stress weighs with you. Good luck in whatever you decide.

8. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I have gone for a lower paid job in a private company (half what I earned before as a UPS teacher) and having every evening and TWO WHOLE DAYS at the weekend is amazing, after 15 years of exactly what describe. If you can afford to do it, I would :)

9. Me too. I have no responsibilities so this is the ideal time I suppose. I am applying for other jobs too, but likewise, it may just be more of the same. I think my mind is made up :D

10. aw27

aw27 New commenter

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sVyKRHDxz_Ut_ev4Q2pP53Q/view.m?id=15&gid=lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying&cat=most-read

This might help the undecided! (apologies, can't post links properly from a phone!)

11. What else would you go into? What is your subject by the way?
    I think my mind is made up too!

12. Can i ask did you stay in teaching then?

13. Yes...i definitely do not want regrets!!! What do you do now and did you find it hard to get something else?

14. Hey, it's Science. I'm not sure what I would do. I suppose that's what's scary about the whole situation, but I'm at the point where I need to put my health and happiness first. I know a few people from my PGCE course who have found other things once they started looking.xx

15. Hiya i sent you a message :)

16. I did about the same amount of time teaching until I found myself without a job and accepted a support staff role. I intended to get back into teaching when I could, but decided I was much happier NOT teaching. Basically, I could walk away at the end of the day and not think about work until the next morning- also great to get my weekends back! I do hanker after teaching at times; there is nothing like the feeling when a pupil 'gets it' or says a 'thank you' to you and I do feel that my job now is less fulfilling. I have also taken a huge pay cut!

17. Hello, don't know if this helps but I left after 7 years of feeling exactly how you describe. I am now re-training in a NHS job and I love it. I feel appreciated, I get thanked by patients and colleagues, I get full dinner hours without being disturbed by work or pupils and I leave my work there every evening. As I'm training though I do have essays and portfolios to do but we get study days. I taught science too.

I would say have a think what else you could do, try and put something in place first but if you can afford to take a pay cut just do it. Your health and happiness is too important x

18. aw27

aw27 New commenter

have pm-d you :)

19. I'm planning my escape. I want to hand in my notice, but I might not get a job too quickly and have a mortgage to pay.
    My reasons: I want a life. I'm fed up with ICT (though would rethink if we got the go-ahead for GCSE/A-level Computing). Kids are bored. I'm bored. I've taken management's decision not to run Computing as a subtle hint.
    I came from a software background. I have spoken with colleages in the sector and I know what I need to do to get back in.
    Don't do anything rash. If you walk out, you'll not get a reference! I'll miss the kids, but when your subject has become a pile of tosh, what use are you being?

20. It's interesting how so many people feel so disillusioned by this job now. I won't be walking out I will work till end of summer term but this has to be it for me and I don't even think another school would change my mind.

I'm the same I want to be happy and right now I am definitely not happy!