1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I leave a new school?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kemr1, Oct 15, 2017.

1. kemr1

kemr1 New commenter

Hello all, I’m after some advice please. I started a new school in September having left an old teaching position in July. I am already having major concerns that this is not the right place for me and I dread going to work.
    My question is, should I leave at Christmas and do supply for a little while, or do I give it the benefit of the doubt for another term?
    There have been a string of issues, none of which are my doing, that are making me want to leave, not to mention my class is a nightmare!
    Thanks everyone!

install and thekillers like this.
  2. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I ended up spending 3 years at my first school, despite the fact the warning signs were there in the first time. Not leaving at Christmas was a huge error in my experience! But every school is different. What sort of issues have you encountered?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  3. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Personally, listen to your gut feelings.

Pomz likes this.
  4. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

What makes your class a nightmare? Is it fixable?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Yes - leave. You sound unhappy - live YOUR life :):):):):):)

Pomz, FrankWolley and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm in a similar position but would be inclined to give it a little longer. Past experience tells me that while the first term can be a nightmare, it gets better and you often end up really liking a job you thought you hated.

Of course, it depends in the circumstances. If the 'string of issues' you mention suggests that the school suggests things won't imrpove then I'd be more inclined to cut my losses and ship out.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's a case for balancing the pros and cons.
    Every so often you get nightmare classes - this happens in most schools. You have to grit your teeth and get on with it.
    I can understand that you don't want to give too much detail to become identifiable. You need to reflect on whether the problems are long term or short term.
    If the management style of the school does not suit you, this is unlikely to change - consider moving.
    If it's a working relationship with someone like a TA or someone sharing your year group it can probably be changed, but not perhaps until next September.
    If it's the commute you either need to change your house or your workplace.
    If it's a new style of planning, you'll get used to it. (At that point they'ii change the format or the National Curriculum or assessments will change).
    If things have gone wrong on your watch, that happens and I hope everyone will forget about it.
    Good luck.
    Toss a coin, as it starts to fall you'll know what the right decision is!

JohnJCazorla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Many years ago I left a school at Christmas after starting the previous September. I kid you not, I realised by lunchtime on the first day that I had made a terrible mistake and resigned in mid September. I wasn't flighty - I'd been at my previous school for many years and have been at my current school 10+ years. Some schools are just not right for you. If you realise this then get out as fast as you can. I did supply in the Spring term following my leaving at Christmas and then started in my current job that Easter. People make mistakes with jobs so now do what is right for you.

Pomz, opalfeet, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  9. Chezz

Chezz New commenter

I was in a similar position a few years ago. I knew within the first 1/2 term that it was a mistake. However, I stuck it out for the year in the hope that things would get better. They didn't! It was a very long miserable year. Follow your instincts - I wish I had! I got another job for the new school year and have been their ever since. I too am not a flighty person - was at my first school for 15 years, current school about 3 years. Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Leave. I was convinced to stay and realised my mistake the day after the resignation deadline. May is a longgggggg way away!

Pomz and opalfeet like this.
  11. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

I was once persuaded to stay in a school after saying I was looking around at other jobs.

Worst mistake I ever made and I turned down a job I was offered which would have been WAY better.

Start looking and applying now and leave when you get something - you don;t have to jump out onto supply, although you can if you want to. So much teacher stress / recruiting issues that there can be a decent amount of work.

Perhaps contact agencies and see what the prospects are. Or go to the supply forum and ask what it is like in your local area.

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The only person you owe loyalty to is yourself. If the job doesn't make you happy, then don't expect it to gt better...it will probably get worse.

install, Pomz and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

Sometimes your health needs to come first. As said before, you could always wait it out to see if it eventually gets better. However in my opinion, it doesn’t. First impressions count! Go with your gut! Like @FrankWolley says, the only person you owe loyalty to is yourself. You need to make YOURSELF happy.

install, Lara mfl 05 and Pomz like this.
  14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I would certainly leave asap, but unless you are lucky enough to not be reliant on your income, I'd try to secure another job first. Supply income can be erratic or even non-existent...

If you could get offered a post, you may also be able to negotiate a shorter notice period.

Good luck!

install likes this.