1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

should I just take the hint?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gemmamarie08, Jan 24, 2016.

1. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

I'll try to keep this brief and will have to be vague in places to avoid being identified but I genuinely want another perspective here.

I have worked at the same place for a few years doing job A very successfully (not blowing my own trumpet - the feedback from management has been extremely good).

I am currently covering job B which I am qualified for and took on at very short notice alongside job A. I have also done this before. I can't say why I was asked at short notice but I agreed both times and have given my all to both roles. Again, feedback from management has been very positive. I'm told I do a good job, I'm very valued / they don't want to lose me etc.

Job B is a step up btw but as i said, I am qualified for it.

I am now thinking ahead to next year and would prefer job B to job A, preferably in the same place but somewhere else if needs be.

Now for the dilemma, the job I am.covering is available next year but I am told it is being advertised externally and I obviously can apply. I'd have no problem with this except that there are a number of people who have covered roles and then either been given jobs with no advert or internal adverts only. Including two in the same dept who left and then came back.

I can't help but feel hurt that the process is different for me compared to others.

As I say, feedback on my work has always been positive, all jobs others have got are at the same level. I just don't understand it I am now applying elsewhere anyway as obviously no guarantee I'll get the job but does anyone have any idea why some jobs are being advertised externally and others aren't?

I don't think it's because I'd be changing jobs because others have changed without external interview before.

Shall I just take it that they don't want me?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

There could be lots of reasons for the difference. Time will tell.

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

It could be that your school considers this job too important to just advertise internally or they are looking for a person with a wider experience - maybe across school experience.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Try not to read too much into it. Some jobs are externally advertised because 'they just are' and some aren't because 'they just aren't.'
    Talk to the relevant member of SLT and ask?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It may also be that the Governing Body has now required jobs to be advertised externally.

Why don't you have a talk with your line manager and ask (a) in what way is this job different from other occasions when there hasn't been external advertising (b) to what extent do I comply with the criteria for appointment to this post, are there any areas where I do not meet the requirements?

If you just ask should you apply, they will reply Oh yes, you should.

Best wishes