1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I just leave now?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Mo, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I' m currently employed by my local council - I work for their agency arm, so I am really a "temp." I've been in post for almost a year'; when I started there were 3 people working in my office, one by one they all either left or retired and weren't replaced, so now I'm the only one. I have basically been running the building I work from virtually single handedly, with little management input. Because of the cuts, it was touch and go whether the building was being kept open. Now a decision has been made that it is going to be kept on. So my job will continue, only not for me. My year's funding ends in 3 weeks and I've been told today that I've got to go because they have no funding for me to continue. Basically they'll be expecting me to do a handover/training for someone (probably someone on the redeployment list) who will then take my job and I'll be back on the dole.
    Two managers came in this morning; they're obviously panicking because they know diddly squat about the building and what goes on there (I work in a community centre/youth centre.) I may as well have been invisible - they were talking to each other as if I wasn't there. One of them said (of me) "she's finishing on 22 Feb" - I hadn't actually had confirmation of this so hearing it like this was quite upsetting.
    I am actually very upset as I was obviously hoping I would be taken on as permanent or extended, having done a damn good job for them for the last year. Now, because of the massive public sector cuts being made, I'm out of a job in 3 weeks time. I just want to go ... NOW. I dont have to give them any notice. I know if I go under my own volition then I cant claim benefits but I just feel I can't carry on there anymore.

2. I' m currently employed by my local council - I work for their agency arm, so I am really a "temp." I've been in post for almost a year'; when I started there were 3 people working in my office, one by one they all either left or retired and weren't replaced, so now I'm the only one. I have basically been running the building I work from virtually single handedly, with little management input. Because of the cuts, it was touch and go whether the building was being kept open. Now a decision has been made that it is going to be kept on. So my job will continue, only not for me. My year's funding ends in 3 weeks and I've been told today that I've got to go because they have no funding for me to continue. Basically they'll be expecting me to do a handover/training for someone (probably someone on the redeployment list) who will then take my job and I'll be back on the dole.
    Two managers came in this morning; they're obviously panicking because they know diddly squat about the building and what goes on there (I work in a community centre/youth centre.) I may as well have been invisible - they were talking to each other as if I wasn't there. One of them said (of me) "she's finishing on 22 Feb" - I hadn't actually had confirmation of this so hearing it like this was quite upsetting.
    I am actually very upset as I was obviously hoping I would be taken on as permanent or extended, having done a damn good job for them for the last year. Now, because of the massive public sector cuts being made, I'm out of a job in 3 weeks time. I just want to go ... NOW. I dont have to give them any notice. I know if I go under my own volition then I cant claim benefits but I just feel I can't carry on there anymore.

3. Sorry you're feeling low at the moment. It's bad enough to know you're going to lose your job soon - but really not nice to discover the actually date by overhearing management discuss it.
    Don't make any hasty decisions that you will possibly regret later.....Have you got a mate you can go out for a drink with tonight - a glass of wine and a moan can be remarkably therapeutic.
    It's only 3 weeks - would choose to stay and see it thorough....in fact I've done that before. I even had a little chart set up and crossed off eachday of the last four weeks I was working!
    Oh, and if you choose to leave now, you should still claim JSA as soon as possible - they may 'sanction' you (not issue payment for a set time - I think it's up to 6 months if you resign from your last job) - but you need to get your claim in.

4. Ahh Mrs Mo,
    I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. Sadly, in my experience of local government employees (especially "temps") are often treated badly when cuts are made.
    I totally understand why you want to leave now - you must feel very hurt and taken for granted.
    However I would try to stick it out for the next 3 weeks if you can. Partly because you will have an extra 3 weeks wages in the bank, and also because you will need a good reference for job-hunting.
    I would ask to have a meeting with your line manager tommorrow morning, and express to them that you were very hurt by the way the managers treated you yesterday. Fair enough, they will be panicking, but that's no excuse for the way they have made you feel. I would possibly even say to your manager you really didn't feel like going back into work given how you've been treated, but as a professional you want to make sure that you do a good job of passing over the necessary info so that the new person can carry on the role.
    The annoying part of all the cuts to local government is that they don't seem to retain the most useful staff but the ones who will cost the most to pay off.
    My partner's employer are getting rid of 2000 jobs - she returned to work today after 2 weeks being very ill, to be asked "are you going to take redundancy?" as soon as she walked in the door. Sadly the looming threats seem to be bringing out the worst in people - they are so worried about their own jobs that they almost want other people to lose theirs.
    It's a horrible situation to be in. It is not your fault though - sounds like you've been doing a great job. I blame the bankers.

5. Oh Mrs Mo, I'd be sorely tempted to tell them to stuff their job and leave them in the lurch. They have had no concern for your welfare or feelings at all! You must feel very used and hurt.
    However, Bethanie's reply DOES make more sense. If you stay you get three more weeks pay and your signing on for JSA will be less complicated. Grit your teeth - do the minimal amount of work and be just as rude to your superiors as they were about you. I do hope someone bothers to thank you for your efforts when you leave.

6. THanks for your replies. One manager did stay behind to speak to me as she was concerned that I hadn't been officially told I was finishing on that date. She knows I am upset! I think she will be speaking to the other one, who is my official line manager.
    I'm not bothered by losing 3 weeks money - it' s a pittance. I only do 17 hrs a week on a **** wage. I'm still minded to just quit now.

7. It's not the immediate pay; it's the hassle of making any sort of claim or getting a reference afterwards.
    I find that stealing something to the approximate value of the pain I have suffered brings some relief.

8. Yep, start taking in extra bags every day.
    If you don't take the tins of coffee and toilet rolls, someone else will.

9. Genius! [​IMG] I will have to try that. Although in my case, it would probably have to be gold plated to cover it....

10. Sorry to hear of your bad news and I am quite furious on your behalf.
    However, do try and stick out those 3 weeks, even if with lots of gnashing of teeth. Work to rule, do no more than you absolutely must and anyway, how are they going to tell how well you teach the new person the job? (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
    I'd be doing lots of playing solitaire, crosswords, painting my nails, pretending to tidy up the office, etc. Just sit the time out and think "Sod you, you bunch of f.eckers".
    I know you say it is not a lot of money, but it will save you a lot of hassle and paperwork - and do make sure that they give you an adequate reference which stipulates WHY you are leaving your post (i.e. due to funding running out). You MUST insist that is in there.